Lane switching in jams

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you switch lanes in traffic jams or just stick with the lane you are in?

I ALWAYS seem to end up in the slowest moving lane whatever I choose! The inside lane and middle lane always tend to be very stop start, especially around junctions.

I'm developing a strategy.
Outside lane for most journeys, but after an exit junction move over to the left lane for a bit as it will be freer running. Get out of the left lane if there is merging traffic and sit back in the right lane. Overall I think the right lane tends to have the best movement in traffic.

So what are your thoughts/strategies for dealing with traffic jams? Does lane switching actually help you go faster?

90% of the time, I head for the outer lane. I know its probably the slowest, but its what I have always gone for. The other 10% of the time, its when I know there is a major junction comming up (where majority of traffic leave) and I will sit on the inside lane and be a little cheeky and go past most.

Having said that, if I am comming onto a road with a jam, and you get a load of people not willing to let you in, then I drive as far down the slip road as I can, and pull in. If they are not willing to let me in where it is fair for everyone, then I will just take the mic and go to the front.

Like you said Waynne, it always seems that what ever lane your in is the slowest. That is the law of king sod! :lol:

Depends on where I am as known roads I tend to gauge the flow as I know at one point it will be quicker outside but 500 metres further down it will stop and the inside lane will be going quicker. Most of the time it is pot luck. When driving the Discovery I get a birds eye view so can see what's going on ahead before most.

On a 3 lane road there is a 2 to 3 chance of picking the wrong one :)

When in a queue I pick a vehicle in another lane and compare my progress with it (have to do something to amuse myself). Over a few miles the final difference in progess is isually marginal.

I prefer the outside lane as you only have to worry about idiots in one lane and can see further down the road due to less HGVs in the sightline.

When in a queue I pick a vehicle in another lane and compare my progress with it (have to do something to amuse myself). Over a few miles the final difference in progess is isually marginal

I often like to play ''hot fittie bingo'' when in this situation. If you are moving faster, then you select a car infront that you think is driven by a fittie. Or if they are passig you, you look in your mirror and do the same. 5 in a row is a full house, and 10 is BINGO!!! :D

It does get a little hard when the misses is sitting next to you. You have the choice then of talking rubbish to her, or use some excuse like you are interested in numberplates or something boring like that, and you want to make a mental log of what cars have what plates!! :D (that then will alow you time to play fittie bingo!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm lucky, my missus points them out to me. She reckons that if a man isn't interested in good looking women then he is either gay or past it :)

I'm lucky, my missus points them out to me. She reckons that if a man isn't interested in good looking women then he is either gay or past it :)

Good Girl!!

My misses doesn't allow me to window shop. Thats why I invested in a pair of Okley Ducaties!! Now, all im doing is checkin my blind spot!! :bigsmile: