Which lane is correct

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
There are signs showing that the left hand lane closes in 800 meters.

Most drivers move over into the right hand lane. A few drivers try the left lane and cut in as the lanes merge causing those in the right hand lane to be delayed.

The drivers in the right hand lane are pretty miffed, and start moving out or closing the gap to stop the drivers on the left lane from cutting in.

Who is in the right here? (I thought a lot about this one and have now changed my mind but it will be interesting to hear what you have to say.)

i am not sure on this. it is up to the drivers on the left to get in lane correctly in plenty of time (although not many do) and the drivers of the right hand lane to give way. so i say its 50-50.

my thoughts are pretty much the same as geraint13
and i'll hold my hands up and say i have done both

and tn i personally wouldnt class it as undertaking if you are doing or below the posted speed limit;)

i wouldn't give way id let em run into the closed sign they should use they nogging once in a while if a lane is closing you move to the right simple as

OK,
Let us look at this in the theoretical and the 'real world'
When warning signs of convergence are posted they are required to give this 800 metres as a start point IIRC. In theory drivers do not need to immediately move to the right. Practically you might not yet be able to for other vehicles. This then is supposed to give time to blend into the right and soon the only lane. Using signal and commonsense this should be easily accomplished. Practically, some drivers believe that an immediate move to the right should have been made (its why most drivers do!!) and will keep blocking your move till you end up stuck at the convergence point swearing and gesticulating!!
In the real world drivers try to beat the queue by bombing down the left Expecting (not hoping!!) that others WILL let them in I am sure that it has happened to all of us that some numbnut has done this from right or left lanes.
With regard to blocking, perhaps no!
I say this because I once contacted the BIA to query the Insurance criteria on a similar undertaking problem. The answer was that both parties (undertaker and me) would be found to be at fault!!!
Personally I stay where I am, let the numbty carry on and hope that I will find them still waiting. IF I am the 'leading car' then I try to make them wait but, quite a lot will force their way in knowing that you dont want both an accident damaging your own car and the holdup of everybody else too. In the real world then they usually get away with it.
However.......
Have you ever seen what HGVs do??
Because of their size and length these guys put the vehicle into the invisible 'centre line' of both lanes thereby cutting numbties clear way through:lol: Good on ya guys
I would not suggest that you attempt it in a car as some of these drivers seem to have a death wish, certainly no respect or concerns for themselves or you.
On a recent quote I asked if there are any POs?
Come on lads, whats your take (or offence definition/s on this??:blink:
There are signs showing that the left hand lane closes in 800 meters.

Most drivers move over into the right hand lane. A few drivers try the left lane and cut in as the lanes merge causing those in the right hand lane to be delayed.

The drivers in the right hand lane are pretty miffed, and start moving out or closing the gap to stop the drivers on the left lane from cutting in.

Who is in the right here? (I thought a lot about this one and have now changed my mind but it will be interesting to hear what you have to say.)

I will add my take on the situation here. Initially I felt that all drivers should move into the right hand lane as soon as they could do so. This clearly wasn't happening and the right lane was moving much slower than it could have with many gaining a massive advantage.

Undertaking cannot surely apply if the right hand lane is stationary or moving more slowly than the left lane. If someone deliberately moved lanes to "jump the queue" then this will probably be seen in a different light.:)

Firstly I would criticise the signs used and would suggest that an early sign is posted to the effect that drivers should use "Both Lanes" then as the Lanes merge a "merge in turn 1 to 1" sign is used.

Narrowing down to one lane prematurely adds to the delays on the road, effectively leaving 800 meters of "car storage" space unused opening the way to jumpers.

If both lanes were used then there would no appreciable delay to the right lane and everyone would make swifter progress, rather than the defensive stop starting we see in the former situation.

So next time I encounter this situation I just hope that the road builders/planners have adequent signage in place and that the cars can act in a more "societorial" manner.

It's not the road planners at fault. It typical brandead drivers who think that they can gain a couple of hundred yards but don't realise that their actions, along with all their other braindead counterparts actually just serve to slow down the whole road.

dont think its just drivers, its commonsense says that if your going to half the road space without halfing the load its going to bottle neck. dont think it matters if you get in lane at said 800m or if you wait till the cones force you over, the road will jam anyway.
think its just annoyance more than anything that people assume your just going to let them in after flying down from further down in the queue.

dont hold me on it but think you can get done if you sit in teh left hand lane blocking anyone from passing
because you are blocking the traffic from using the road even if it is 500 yards
and really speeding the traffic up infront of you

but saying that i always do it unless there is a side road before the roadworks
no one really messes about with abeat up landrover
had it when we was off roading once was a crash up ahead 3 lanes turning down to one there was 4 landrovers so we took up the road
police was able to move the cones about and the cars infront move quicker
no one seemed to beep or anything lol they was quite dirty at the time just been off roading for 5 hours

imo its incorrect to move in as soon as you seen the 800mtr marker, this is a fair distance away from where the raod actually merges, surely (and this is in an ideal make- believe world where drivers actually notice each other and are courteous) both lanes should be used in tandem up to 200mtrs and then the traffic should merge in turn. this should enable the traffic to continue to flow smoothly. always block tossers who try and barge in at the last second before hitting the cones.

i had one on sunday in chatham there is some road works and you can see the jam as soon as you come off a roundabout and see where the lane closes

so i get a bit closer to the road works as there is a turning to the left i did not want to block
had a couple of cars go down the out side so i got to teh left turning so i pulled out so no one else can come past
and this bloke in a astra come right up behind me then managed to squeze past on the turning
lucky there was my dad infront of me and then the cones infront of him
so the astra man tryed to come infront of me dont think so lol
i turned into the left lane and stuck right behind my dad the bloke nearly turned right into the landrover but thought better of it
and the bloke behind me did not like letting him in as he was right behind me and gave the astra the smallest of spaces

is what he gets for trying to cut in
can clearly see were the road stops and were the jam starts and he thought he would be the only one to jump the que