Suspension parameters/center of gravity

amexist

Car
-
Hello Members,

My research group is currently studying vehicle suspension dynamics of a car with a heavy load in the trunk. We do some mathematical simulations as well as real runs with a Cavalier 2002. I am wondering if any of you can share any insights about the following questions:

1. What are the approximate numerical values for spring stiffness/rates for rear and front wheels ? (again,it is Cavalier 2002: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/2000-2002_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Coupe.jpg )

2. Any ideas of where is the center of mass (gravity) of an empty car?
What if there is a driver, one passenger (say, total 400 lbs [180 kg])?

I would appreciate any ideas or links to the relevant literature.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
welcome along. your post got stuck in the mod queue due to it containing a link.

hopefully someone will be able to help you out but we dont have the cavalier over here

2. centre of gravity must be different on every car - have you tried contacting the manufacturer as they should have this info.

many years ago in a far away galaxy i seam to remember that calculations for determining the such matters were called CENTROIDS , cant rember much more but the info was in covered in a book by MC kenner hope this is a starter

It's not just the centre of gravity that matters, it's the place roll axis that plays a big part as well.

Citroen's Hydractive system was revolutionary and effectively removed all body roll during cornering. Whether this improved lateral grip is debateable but the first time I drive a Xantia thus equipped it was a really strange feeling to have no body roll whatsoever.