Cadence braking best on non abs

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Is cadence braking the best option on cars with no abs in emergency situations?

It is probably worth explaining what cadence braking is for newer drivers while we are at it.

What is the best way to do an emergency stop on a car without an abs system?

Cadance breaking (the rapid pressing and releasing of the brake pedal) was something I learnt to do in my youth, way before ABS became commonplace. In extremis I still use it but it messes up the ABS :) The Elan doesn't have this option so cadence it will be. It is something I do automatically.

The best is to avoid total lockup - threshold braking. Very very difficult when panic sets in and right foot buries the brake pedal. Hence ABS.

Absolutely correct|B and it takes quite a bit of practice to perfect (and get it ingrained into your muscle memory) and IF the wheels lock then one has to ease off a little pressure to get the wheels barely rolling for the shortest possible stopping distance.

Unfortunately most drivers tend to slam on the brakes and lock the wheels and push even harder when they think they are going to crash.

The problem with locked wheels in an emergency situation is that there is no steering no matter how far you turn the wheel ( the car will go where the car is pointed) and if the driver suddenly gets off the brake the car will now go where the wheels are pointed and possibly end up off the road and into a ditch or tree.

One needs to understand that a tyre can only give 100% and if the wheel is locked then the 100% is taken by braking so there is nothing left for steering.

Last edited: