Braking distance refresher for new members

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
IMO most drivers do not realize what is involved in total braking distances.

1 THINKING DISTANCE is the distance covered before realizing that one needs to apply the brakes NOW and getting off the gas and onto the brake.

NOTE double the speed doubles the thinking distance.

2 Double the speed quadruples the actual braking distance.

3 At 3/4 stopping distance you will be doing 1/2 of your original speed.

4 The total distance to stop includes the thinking distance + the stopping/braking distance.

5 It goes without saying that the condition of your brakes,tyres and the grip level of the road surface all play a part in the total distances along with the drivers level of alertness.

Last edited:
Even more significant is the ability to look a long way ahead and hopefully avoid full force braking. Driving is far more a cognitive skill than it is a physical one.

Even more significant is the ability to look a long way ahead and hopefully avoid full force braking. Driving is far more a cognitive skill than it is a physical one.
Yep my driving instructor always told me to drive beyond your bonnet and look at junctions, blind crests and if everyone else was an idiot and that was in a Metro! That training has served me well all these years.
I have always believed also that performance cars will handle and stop better than normal family orientated cars hence why I always own this type vehicle. It's not all about speed when purchasing a vehicle.

Drivers still tend to copy the herd. If others are too close then they follow suit. When cars start dropping back the majority follow so through our good habits we can hopefully spread a little common sense to others. Perhaps I live in an idealistic world.

IF I was restricted to only 2 bits of advice they would be,
1 Look further ahead = eyes on high beam.
2 Stay further back from the car in front.

PS Obi San it should be renamed UNCOMMON SENSE ;)

You don't have time to remember all that bumf when your about to hit the brakes at 210mph & the Tyre wall at Brunters is only .2 of a mile away. My driving instructor never gave me any help on that. If you cant stop fit better brakes don't try to remember what you were told in my case 53 years ago.

Remember you are driving too fast If you can't recognize. a potential dangerous situation and stop before crashing.
Then you are driving too fast for the available field of forward vision day or night.