Auto braking - a step too far

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on the new auto braking systems fitted to cars? They detect an imminent collission and slam on the breaks.

I'm guessing these only work at low speed otherwise a plastic bag could trigger this at faster road speeds and it could be quite dangerous?

Do you think that adding this sort of safety feature further takes the pressure and therefore concentration off a driver?

I have never tried such a system. Clearly it would be silly to rely upon it. To be honest I suspect that if you're driving correctly, leaving large gaps and looking well ahead (most don't do this, even if tey think they do) you're unlikely to ever experience it activating itself.

I would have to try it though. Drive at a brick wall at 50mph and see when it decides to ct in :)

It would make sense for this to only work at low speeds, though i would imagine it wouldnt be triggered buy somthing as insubstantial as a plastic bag, i wouldnt use it myself and i guess it could make people relax too much behind the wheel.

however it would be a good thing for drivers whose concentration isnt top form anyway, like the partially sighted or elderly, as long as it works, fit it.

just make sure you can turn it off.

It would make sense for this to only work at low speeds,

This is where I disagree. It's at high speeds when it's going to provide the most safety benefit. Most drivers do not look far enough ahead anyway. On the rare occasion that emergency braking is required most start too late and too gently. It's for this reason that EBA is now standard on all new cars.

5h gear tried this on the merc that had it fitted by cutting across a lane in behind the car. jason plato was driving, he said the system cut in but he backed out and hit the stop pedal

5h gear tried this on the merc that had it fitted by cutting across a lane in behind the car. jason plato was driving, he said the system cut in but he backed out and hit the stop pedal

I saw that too. You'd have to be really brave to actually leave you feet off the pedals IMO.

Isn't it intended to help cut down on minor bumps and shunts in heavy traffic?

One of the more common accidents, sometimes caused when someone is accelerating whilst the car in front is actually stopping.

Such a system would reduce the incidence of such events, giving a saving in money and labour (from the Insurers, repairers etc.).

Isn't it intended to help cut down on minor bumps and shunts in heavy traffic?

One of the more common accidents, sometimes caused when someone is accelerating whilst the car in front is actually stopping.

Such a system would reduce the incidence of such events, giving a saving in money and labour (from the Insurers, repairers etc.).

Yes, I suppose that, too, is a good reason to have such a system.

I really cannot see any negatives from a technical POV as long as it doesn't engage falsely. Manufacturers must have invested masive amounts of development funds to get such a system that is not invasive.

Most here have implied that it would be a bad thing if it led to driver's taking less care. I agree that would also be a bad thing.

But how does it work in the ice or on oil, if you start sliding towards something this system could cut ijn and end up working against what you are trying to do making the situation worse?