Big economy or small power

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What would you prefer manufacturers to focus their attention on?

Making bigger capacity engines more economical or getting more power from smaller engines?

It seems that they are actually doing the latter with various turbo and supercharging options but is there a case for using larger but more economical engines?

That's a tough question. I think both might be the answer. Everyone wants that miracle car to come up. Something that can get you from 0-60 in less than 4 sec, but will do 60mpg.

As proven by a motoring show, its not down to the car how economical it is, its down to the driver. I remember watching them drive a small engined car as fast as they could possibly go around a track, and had (I think) a M3 following it. The M3 used less fuel as it was cruising along behind the smaller engined car that was at the high end of the rev range.

yeah I remember watching that and I was laughing my head off at the prius failure on economy! :toung: M3 wins! :bigsmile:

personaly I'd prefer big engines with big economy and low or no polution, but I guess thats too much to ask.

I suppose as long as you get the speed, acceleration and thrills then it doesn't really matter, maybe a nice engine noise too

Not interested in engine noise. The less the better

Economy is largely down to driving style. So if you are a press on type of driver (I am) don't bother with supposedly eco cars. I managed a 160 mile round trip to Swindon (all dual cw and mway) in a 1.2 Fiat Punto. Result 25.6 MPG. Not good. And I wasn't pushing all that hard.

Get a car that suits your driving style.