Fuel prices and the economy

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How much of an effect do you think fuel prices have on the economy? Are fuel prices just a symptom of the current economic climate or do high fuel prices fuel a slow up in the economy?

The recession started when fuel prices hit a record high, the recovery has faltered since fuel prices crept back up.

How much of our economy is dependent on transport then?

high fuel prices slow up the economy,
if its dear you less likely to go anywhere and spend the money.

how dependent is the economy on transport - very how does anything get to the shops or your house ?

It is all tied in very closely. If people aren't going out then they are not going to spend money. Goods cost more to ship around as well.

I know people who are only going to the supermarket every 2 weeks now to save fuel.

the government are rakin in billions £ on fuel about 2/3 of what you pay at pump goes tax for them thats why the prices are biased towards increases and slow to come down when oil price drops

I think fuel prices are high simply because of the the government wanting to maximise the income generated by tax. While we are digging out a massive pit o debt, i cannot see things going down.
Though i would not hold much against the forecourts who seem to bear the brunt of the media anger, i used to work in a filling station and i can tell you that even a supermarket linked filling station makes more profit off someone buying a sandwich and bottle of coke than someone buying 30l..