Back to the standard 14"!

jefflucas28

Tuner
Car
2000 Clio S 1.4i 8v
So i'm relieved to say i've put the standard 14" wheels back on my clio, and what can i say, its like having a new car.

MPG is already hugely different, i can rag the engine for 25/30 miles without denting the fuel tank. And performance, after a quick review of the installation of the induction kit and discovering a missing jubilee clip AS WELL AS going back to the standard 14's, now its so responsive thru the gears and the noise is so loud i kept thinking my exhaust had blown!

So overall ive learnt that in terms of performance 'the lighter the better', and i'm now even willing to trade looks if it means fuel economy and engine efficiency/performance.

Thanks to all of you who helped me out when i couldnt figure why the car was suffering so much from just a set of new wheels, turns out the engine couldnt handle the extra traction!

thanks again :-O

Interesting result. Clearly rolling mass and angular inertia both play big roles here.

I'm surprised by the result, but then the evidence is conclusive.

Now tell me how my 195/50/15 tyres on my Clio 1.2 can produce standard fuel consumption near enough, but also makes the performance of the car better. E.g. I can do 0-60 in MUCH less time that the manufacturer states the car can do it in. I only have an induction kit, alloys and a new backbox. Reduced 0-60 time by over 2.5 seconds!

It would be interesting to look at the final drive ratios in the gearboxes of these 2 cars. Does anyone happen to know what they are? The 1.4 and 1.2 Clio?

THere's no way you'll shave 2.5 seconds off the 0-60 time unless the wheel diameter is so much smaller that the car is only doing, say, 45 mph when the speedo reads 60. Thereby you're measuring 0-45 mph

Incidentally, what is the time you've recorded?

Last edited:
there was only a 6lb difference in weight between the 15" and standard 14". This along with the additional traction of the wider tyre, caused a noticable drag effect.

Wezzel I'm amazed to hear your performanced improved, and you must have the 60bhp engine correct?

Anyway, im just pleased to have the old wheels and more so, the old MPG back. Can floor the accelerated much more comfortably from now on! :p

Well put it this way,

1st Gear = 30mph
2nd Gear = 58mph
3rd Gear = 77mph
4th Gear = 92mph
5th Gear = 102mph

@HDI

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f73/new-0-60-time-1-2-a-6406/

Go there and take a look

Was properly all done.

We did it again on a stupid little stopwatch last night, but I got a pretty bad launch in my opinion, but I still managed to get 13.5 ... which is still 1 second faster than the posted time.

My car will also outo some cars that are 'supposed' to be faster than this car.

I do indeed have the 60bhp engine in mine.. and it has done 130k miles!

I don't do it that often ;)

Plus you got to remember, I don't have a rev limiter :)

Besides, I believe that it is actually good for the engine to hit the limiter once in a while :)

Probably around 1 hour ;)

Will have to check that for you mate :)... will let you know probably Sunday night now as I won't be doing during the day today, and I am drinking tonight :)

bigger wheels will always effect your cars performance, and your spot on about lighter is better, i dont think anyone should go above the standard wheel size anyway, if its performance they want, looks is a different ball game, then its nice to have 18" wheels on a car

lesson learned anyway jeff, if anything mate

absolutely prevtec. A worth while experiment.

put some new spark plugs in today and a little helping of injector cleaner in the fuel tank, so she's running charmingly. Oil, oil filter and fuel filter i'll just get kwik fit to do as i (me and lucas senior) had some trouble find the fuel filter and lacked the tools to change the oil filter, so an embarrassing defeat basically. And even more honestly, it were too bleedin cold!!! :)

So yeah, i'm a keen supporter of regular servicing, and lightweight EVERYTHING.

Next modification - Front Strut Brace, Worth it or not?

absolutely prevtec. A worth while experiment.

put some new spark plugs in today and a little helping of injector cleaner in the fuel tank, so she's running charmingly. Oil, oil filter and fuel filter i'll just get kwik fit to do as i (me and lucas senior) had some trouble find the fuel filter and lacked the tools to change the oil filter, so an embarrassing defeat basically. And even more honestly, it were too bleedin cold!!! :)

So yeah, i'm a keen supporter of regular servicing, and lightweight EVERYTHING.

Next modification - Front Strut Brace, Worth it or not?

youd be suprised how stiff the steering gets from a strut brace, so the answer is yes, their worth it
just make sure its fitted right

A strut brace is definitely a good idea. It's something I'm considering for the 406, which is quite stiifly sprung in my GTX model. This means that any flex in the bodywork is more noticeable, especially with a diesel engine (heavy) driving through the front wheels

i bought a strut for the prelude just as show, their a pretty good car for handeling anyway, but when i put it on i felt the difference

well worth getting them, im now scourcing 1 for the back aswell

i bought a strut for the prelude just as show, their a pretty good car for handeling anyway, but when i put it on i felt the difference

well worth getting them, im now scourcing 1 for the back aswell

Preludes do handle sweetly. As TN69 says as well, so do Primeras. my P11 was better than the 406 I using at the moment. 406s, too, are known for being a pleasant and quick drive but the 2.2 diesel is quite heavy so can give it a nose foward sort of feel.

It makes up for it with brilliant in gear acceleration in a straight line. 320+ lbft maketh a bloody lively car, perhaps the engine weight helps to tame its desire to spin front wheels even in third if the road is slightly damp. But it cannot make up for what I feel is compromise in front end grip.

Is yours the 4WS one? - If so a brace will probably make a huge difference. Those rear wheel steering actuators need a good straight ahead reference point. The stiffening of the rear end with a brace will make it feel even better than it does now.

Well put it this way,

1st Gear = 30mph
2nd Gear = 58mph
3rd Gear = 77mph
4th Gear = 92mph
5th Gear = 102mph

@HDI

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f73/new-0-60-time-1-2-a-6406/

Go there and take a look

Was properly all done.

We did it again on a stupid little stopwatch last night, but I got a pretty bad launch in my opinion, but I still managed to get 13.5 ... which is still 1 second faster than the posted time.

My car will also outo some cars that are 'supposed' to be faster than this car.

I do indeed have the 60bhp engine in mine.. and it has done 130k miles!

How on earth do you get 30 in first gear??? I get to about 22 and it starts juddering.