How come diesels get turbos as standard

yeah right, no comparrison, what is the spec of a volvo turbo petrol v turbo diesel of the same cc, age etc

alot, take the s40 for example the 1.9 turbo diesels have 115bhp and the 1.9 litre petrol has 200bhp

As I thought and purchase price new?

I have always maintained Volvo are highly underrated since I owned a v70 2.5 20v turbo. brilliant car, had to sell it when we emigrated. now we have a Saab and there is no comparrison, the Saab feels cheap is nasty to drive and does nothing for me, except the super comfy seats, only my old renault 25 monaco spec had comfier seats

Last edited:
Diesel engines are much simpler to turbocharge, simply because there is no throttle. This is also why the engines respond so well to such treatment.

Turbos are not just put on, either. A turbo engine is hugely different to its naturally aspirated counterpart.

As I thought and purchase price new?

I have always maintained Volvo are highly underrated since I owned a v70 2.5 20v turbo. brilliant car, had to sell it when we emigrated. now we have a Saab and there is no comparrison, the Saab feels cheap is nasty to drive and does nothing for me, except the super comfy seats, only my old renault 25 monaco spec had comfier seats

i too love my volvos i have had 1 t4 and 8 t5's including 3 "R"'s i have a 330bhp v70r at the minute

The 850R was a peach of a car. Massive performance and much loved by police services throughout the UK. The FWD chassis was well set up and it handled it's torque with absolute equanimity.

I wish performance diesel would take off more. I'd love to see a jetta tdi pulling a 9 sec 1/4 mi. on propane, nitrous, and with a turbo off a train :)

The 850R was a peach of a car. Massive performance and much loved by police services throughout the UK. The FWD chassis was well set up and it handled it's torque with absolute equanimity.

the police never used "R"'s as their vehicles they uses boggo T5's