Super unleaded vs standard unleaded

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
With the extra MPG you get from super unleaded I would stick my neck out and say the price difference per mile covered is pretty similar to standard unleaded.

The engines also run better, produce more power and run cleaner (apparently) on super unleaded.

Has anyone actually worked out if my theory is correct? I'm currently doing it but a tank of fuel lasts me a month so it will take a while to get some results.

:amazed::amazed::amazed:

I'm amazed that a tank of fuel can last a month!

I don't know for sure if your theory is correct but I do two to one of normal fuel and super fuel and when I put the super stuff in her she runs a lot better and seems to go slightly further before I have to fill up again, I never really paid much attention to it but I think now realising it I'll use the stuff more often.

I have tried all types of fuels in the past and can honestly say that for me; Shell V Super unleaded is my preferred choice! My car is a bit fussy and does not really get on with standard unleaded fuel types.

Mine isn't turbocharged and is a relatively low compression engine so 95RON is fine, although there is a little bit more torque on V-Power.

Before I remapped mine I tried 95RON and 98RON and noticed a difference in both economy and a much smoother drive, albeit small. Since the remap to 95RON it is alot better, however I do wish to remap it to 98/99RON but the cost of this is making me think twice. I may still do it as it won't cost me anything.

My old Calibra V6 ran very well on the 98RON spec stuff and was a bit rough on anything less.

Before I remapped mine I tried 95RON and 98RON and noticed a difference in both economy and a much smoother drive, albeit small. Since the remap to 95RON it is alot better, however I do wish to remap it to 98/99RON but the cost of this is making me think twice. I may still do it as it won't cost me anything.

My old Calibra V6 ran very well on the 98RON spec stuff and was a bit rough on anything less.
I just don't think there is a cost disadvantage when you factor in the extra MPG. This is what I am trying to get proof of though. I'd happily buy super unleaded if it genuinely went further than regular fuel.

I've not done any rigorous tests, although I did get subjectively good results on Tesco Momentum 99RON. However, next fill up with the stuff the car started to feel a little bit uncouth. This is a relative statement because a straight six is inherently smooth by design. So I reverted to Shell 95RON, with the occasional fill of V-Power, which makes very little difference even to me, as a very sensitive driver.

there was an 95/98 octane plug on the old vauxhalls and you could switch it round to which fuel you where using;)

I've not done any rigorous tests, although I did get subjectively good results on Tesco Momentum 99RON. However, next fill up with the stuff the car started to feel a little bit uncouth. This is a relative statement because a straight six is inherently smooth by design. So I reverted to Shell 95RON, with the occasional fill of V-Power, which makes very little difference even to me, as a very sensitive driver.
I guessed you might have a sensitive side!

No question that the stagea runs best on tescos 99 now called momentum.

Mind you it was specificaly mapped using it so thats probably why.

I have also found that my daily drive (03 civic coupe) goes better on it as well.

I prefer premium fuels and can even notice the power difference in my miserable 1.6. I also return much better milage. And you know it's better for the engine too. I'd say it's worth the cost. Even more so on larger or forced induction engines.

I get about 20 miles more on a tank of super, never really worked out the costs to compare though! I like the fun I get from superunleaded!

ive done a few comparrisons on diesel and found that i get about eight to nine miles more from texaco standard diesel to the cheaper supermarket fuels. Thats based on quarter tank fill ups. Think the grades are the same so draw what conclusions you can.

i did some readings using the diagnostics a while back - probably still on an old laptop drive somewhere - dont know about MPG but there was more power and torque between from the super. think it was still optimax back then

not fully scientific ill admit but i used the same road, same gear and same ambient temp. and ran on each fuel for about a month before doing the readings

It depends on the engine but on turbo engines higher octane means more power but only with a more agressive map.

Thats why drag cars use racing fuel with an octane rating in three figures.

BMW does suggest 98RON for my car but it's quite allowable to go as low as 91RON, with a slight decrease in performance end economy.

I have, however, tried V-Power again this week, I've been doing loads of miles as a result of a house move coming up (we have two houses at the moment, so I'm decorating the new one and cleaning out the old one in readiness to move the stuff we want) so filled up with V-Power end of last week. In fairness, it does seem slightly swifter at low revs and the torque builds more quickly as the revs rise.

So better economy should be possible but I've been driving quite swiftly because of time constraints.

I did the unthinkable today: A/C fully off, all windows fully open, engage Drive S on the box and have a play with the car on some nice B roads for 40 miles or so. So perhaps unfair to base economy figures on today's usage.

I did the unthinkable today: A/C fully off, all windows fully open, engage Drive S on the box and have a play with the car on some nice B roads for 40 miles or so. So perhaps unfair to base economy figures on today's usage.
*rolls eyes* BMW Drivers. Tut.

*rolls eyes* BMW Drivers. Tut.

Not often I open the windows, I surprised the window motors haven't all seized.

It does make a nice sound as the revs rise though. Not loud, perhaps not loud enough for some drivers, but it's a nice straight six smooth bark. None of this can be heard with everything closed.

I hate BMWs though, in general. For the image that the badge projects.

It does make a nice sound as the revs rise though. Not loud, perhaps not loud enough for some drivers, but it's a nice straight six smooth bark. None of this can be heard with everything closed.

but you drive a mondeo with a bmw kit so you are ok in our books:amuse:

Take the badge off??