a knocking noise??

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
the other day i noticed a slight knocking noise as i went over bumps i could ony hear it with the stereo and heater turned off and the window down. ive had a similar noise in the past (but louder) and it turned out to be either a suspension top mount (which i dont think it will be cause mine where replaced when i did my suspension) or a ball joint but i have investigated and cant see a split in the ball joint. but i have noticed a split in the rear wishbone bush. stupid question time would this split in the bush cause the slight knocking noise??

anti roll bar bushes?
but didnt you change them all not that long ago.

how low did you go ? over 40mm and theres a chance of the ARB catching on the driveshaft

anti roll bar bushes?
but didnt you change them all not that long ago.

how low did you go ? over 40mm and theres a chance of the ARB catching on the driveshaft

arb bushes is a maybe cause they are small and not easy to see if they have gone
no i havent changed any of the bushes yet i was waiting to get 2 new wishbones and do the lot in a day

well i couldnt tell you exactly how low i went (the original measurements got tidied up :() but i would say at maximum its 20mm lower than standard hight so i think i rule the arb out

just a thought but remember the sports suspension is already about 20mm lower so you could be close. seems weird as some people drop the golfs 50mm and have no issue and others put 30mm drop on and struggle. then again there is 2 thicknesses of driveshafts so this might have something to do with it

need to check mine out as i get a slight knock now and again from the nearside front when going over bumps

i would say it was the anti roll bar links or the back wishbone bush
but are very common to go and will give you the noise you are saying about

both are easy to do and cheap

just a thought but remember the sports suspension is already about 20mm lower so you could be close. seems weird as some people drop the golfs 50mm and have no issue and others put 30mm drop on and struggle. then again there is 2 thicknesses of driveshafts so this might have something to do with it

need to check mine out as i get a slight knock now and again from the nearside front when going over bumps

fair point mate i'll investigate further to see if the arb is close to the drive shaft when i drop it back to the ground

and this sounds just like my problem but its only the faintest knocking. is it a possibility the rear wish bone bush could be causing it?

could be. the rears a pig of a job as the whole rear beam needs to come out to do them supposidly

job for me to check on wednesday if its dry as got to make a slight adjustment to the brakes anyway so can check the bushes while its in the air

i would say it was the anti roll bar links or the back wishbone bush
but are very common to go and will give you the noise you are saying about

both are easy to do and cheap

cheers for that! i have the poly bushes to do my car but im waiting till i can afford new wishbones. cause im not a 100% sure i bought the right sized front wishbone bushes (the lazy way of doing it i know:embarrest:)

you can get the rear bushes as a poly bush so can have all polys on the front

i know i said it was a easy job but have to remember i am a mechanic doing these jobs on the lift and not the floor so have a it a bit easyer

you can get the rear bushes as a poly bush so can have all polys on the front

i know i said it was a easy job but have to remember i am a mechanic doing these jobs on the lift and not the floor so have a it a bit easyer

sorry i didnt make it very clear mate! i have a full poly bush kit to do my car but i want to get new wishbones before i do it. reason 1 being the front wishbone bushes can be 2 sizes and im not sure if i bought the right size. i know i can take a wishbone off to check but i cant be arsed (hence im doing it the lazy way:embarrest:) reason 2 the bushes are supposed to be a major pain in arse to get out and new 1's in. so i only get 1 day of the weekend to do this so i cant afford not to have the car on the road as i need it for work (if need be i could take 2 days but i feel its unfair to the wife!)

hope this helps clarify things?

could be a shock on the way out, did you check that mate?
if not, its defenatly a bush of some sort

could be a shock on the way out, did you check that mate?
if not, its defenatly a bush of some sort

cheers for the suggestion mate but i only fitted the coilovers a few months ago. so i really hope it isnt
Scared.thumb.gif

has to be a bush then

only happenes on bumps or uneven surfaces, defenatly a bush,
just check all of them for play

its not something thats that easy to check when it comes to the front. they can be split, as they are voided from the factory (most upgrade to the TT versions as these are solid and not as harsh as the powerflex ones) so they can be split in one area but to try and get play in can be hard