A DIY Turbo job would be nice!!!

I think lot of people would have gone through a DIY turbo job.

So, why not post the details with pictures and how the build went. Would be an interesting read, beneficial and informative for others. Would help people choosing the right things and the path that has to be followed. :)

It needn't be a success always, so failures can also be posted for the benefit of the beginners...

Hope to learn a thing or two from the experts..

(I am not much into this myself, but want to learn a lot)

Thanks..

DIY Turbocharging (or to give it the correct term turbo-supercharging) is not for the faint hearted.

There's a lot more to turbocharging a car than simply bolting on a turbo and the associated plumbing.

It's something I wouldn't undertake but then I don't even change my own engine oil.

So ---- anyone fancy a bash at this

I'll sit here quietly watching.

Turbocharged honda CRX
DSC00104.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

Supercharged Fiat Marea
engine1.jpg

DIY Turbocharging (or to give it the correct term turbo-supercharging) is not for the faint hearted.

There's a lot more to turbocharging a car than simply bolting on a turbo and the associated plumbing.

It's something I wouldn't undertake but then I don't even change my own engine oil.

So ---- anyone fancy a bash at this

What you said is correct. We never even change the engine oil ourselves. :)

But, I believe there would be one guy here or there who would have done a successful DIY turbo job. There should be. Correct?

What I was looking forward to was the pics of the work in progress and the exact instructions that has to be followed. Would be an interesting read. :)

the fiat above is claymores and he done that himself.
country bumkin, i think, has done a couple of turbo conversions.

problem you could have is someone sees a guide saying its easy. so goes to a scrappy and gets a turbo off something and bolts it onto his clio/corsa/ equivalent and watches the engine go boom. then start bad mouthing us due to the fct that someone has done it and said it wasnt that hard

Last edited:
There's no way that exact instructions can be produced for such a bespoke bit of engineering. Not saying it can't be done; just that I couldn't do it I'm afraid.

the fiat above is claymores and he done that himself.

I also did the crx, and both cars were just bolt on and a bit of pluming, If you keep the boost to no more that about 6psi, the standard internals should cope fine and tha standard ecu should be able to cope, as should the standard fuel pump, but on the crx i went a bit further, used a Dastek ecu and ran 16psi.

03062008056.jpg

03062008058.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics.

Even I would not do it. I am not even close enough. Dunno, a, b, c, d about turbos. :(

The thing I wanted to know is that, we do have many cases of blown turbos here. They were done up by good professionals and yet was not reliable builds. Have you come across any such cases??

Is it because the amount that was spent was not enough?? Or are aftermarket turbos not reliable enough?? What are your comments, guys?? Just wanted to know...

Turbocharged engines differ greatly from their naturally aspirated cousins. There are numerous internal differences in addition to the obvious external ones. This might well account for the reliability problems.

gimme a few months to get the top items on my list sorted, and ill be turbo'ing my 2.0 8v gti lump. as has been said, its all about knowing what the engine can take! my kind of engine (ady) has been run by quite a few people in "the scene" at 250bhp using very basic homebrew set ups without massive reliablity issues. ill be running low boost, so should only be around 180-190bhp. more than enough in a mk2 golf, and should keep things relatively reliable :)

Hi Pikey motorsports (road burner )
I was just looking at your thread on you turbo'ing your 2.0lt 8v gti lump and was wondering how it's all coming along.
I have the same vehicle and want to do the same to mine, also running low boost about 0.6 to 0.8 bar with a inter cooler as well.
I would appreciate any advice and feed back on your project that you could give me and if you have any pictures, that would be great.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
JAX

hey JAX, sorry to say in the end i never got round to it! broke the car for parts and bought a corrado, then another!

im now going to be taking my corrado VR6 off the road at end of january to do a diy turbo conversion on that.

as far as the VR6 is concerned, standard internals wil take 400bhp+ so no need to uprate anything really.

Stage 1 is going to be more of a testing stage, so just going to fully rebuild her, Head spacer to lower compression, oil cooler, new manifold and downpipe, turbo, chargecooler, all associated pipework, rising rate FPR, 4Bar fuel pump and boost controlled via 6psi wastegate spring. Very very basic setup, should still see me running around 250bhp ish to run her in.

once im happy everything is working as it should, the FPR will be replaced with a 4Bar item,and management will be swapped over to megasquirt, which will also run traction and launch control. The wastegate spring will be swapped for 8psi, then 12, 13,14 and so on along with continual on road remapping, until i am happy with the power levels. approx 400bhp is where i aim to keep her.....for a while ;)

my VR6 Corrado WIP thread will be updated heavily once the work begins