1999 freelander Diesel

KenFoyn

Car
Freelander diesel
I recently purchased a 1999 Land Rover freelander 2Lt diesel the idle is fine when cold but as it warms up the idle speed increases and some times surges to 2000 rpm if i blip the accelerator it drops to normal cold idle
but increases again after driving a bit.
I might add this is the first diesel i have ever had and thinking the cable is sticking searched for it,No cable, found there were wires from the pedal,
Now what? surf the web found out there are sensors to a control panel
that could cause the problem, so where do i start looking,HELP.

The sensor can probably be cleaned - certainly worth a try.

Does your car have the 16 valve BMW engine? If so, then a BMW dealer should be able to help. There was an earlier 2.0 diesel, the origins of which I am uncertain. However, someone here will have an answer for you. TQcars is a handy place for information of this type.

The performance seems fine it is just the idle that's erratic
How do i get the diagnostic code?
Can the air intake sensor be cleaned?

Thanks for the reply, I don't have a clue to what engine is there.
However i will try and find out.
I am a 70 year old pensoner who likes to maintain his own vehicles
The agents sting you big time here.
So the more i know about this SUV the less i can be Bull#!#!#!#!ted.

Diesel's aren't the best for DIY mantenance any longer. The engines are horrendously complicated.

However, they do also tend to be pretty durable.

hey and welcome to the site mate.
any decent garage should be able to scan it (over here anyway ) but they might not be able to interpret it properly. like a dealer should be

try disconnecting the maf 1st. If the maf is faulty it usually it runs better with it disconnected - look for the 1st electrical connector after the airbox and remove it.
if you want to try and clean the maf remove it and spray the prongs in carb cleaner

this normally is only a short term fix as and it will normally need changed shortly. but go for a proper one not a pattern part as these can fault alot quicker.

My uncle has an 02 plate and that's the TD4 which is the BMW engine,
the very late one's are technically PSA engines, your's is an l-series rover turbo diesel with 8v's so you'd probably have to speak to an independent garage to get the code read, but yeah does sound like the air flow sensor is acting up....

Thank you for your reply,I have been told that i have a TCIE engine what ever that means, now i have another problem, when the engine is cold all gears engage properly
but when it gets hot then first and second gears do not want to engage. it is as if the clutch is not working properly, i have been told that the slave cylinder is near the exhaust pipe and getting too hot, has any one had a similar problem?

I've not heard of this, I would call my uncle who has a freelander but he runs the TD4 engine, which is the BMW one so if it was a common problem Land Rover would have fixed it,

Maybe some heat shielding would sort the problem out?

Well since i last wrote in, i have now got a workshop manual very useful
The master and slave cylinders are plastic with a plastic pipe in between them the mounting bracket for slave cylinder is very badly designed
and bends over time, bought a new one and modifing it for more strength.