UK Driving test amendments

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've heard that there is a new section in the driving test. The examiner will now ask the student to drive to a landmark or intersection and leave it up to the student to choose a route and drive under their own initiative.

If the student gets lots then the examiner will just point them back on course with no demerits.

The low speed manouvers will be reduced to just 1 of the 3.

Silly idea. It would be better to use the time to do a few minutes of main road driving with a full commentary from the candidate.

Well with all the things that newbie drivers have to know and learn these days to pass their test, i'm glad I passed mine when I did!

Incidently, If any of you chaps and ladies off course! were to take the latest driving test in its current guise, how do you think you would get on?

Test should be tougher, but getting the student lost and panicked doesnt seem to serve much of a purpose. sure no one tells you where to go once youve passed, but thats what a map is for. i would certaintly have failed if i had to do this in my test, id never been to the town before.

I would prefer much more attention given to driving in adverse conditions, skidpan sessions, flood driving, and night driving.

plus i agree with HDI that the exam should focus much more on the observation skills of a student, too many people dont seem to know what they or any other road user is doing at any one time.

Interesting point, i passed my test , but found i didnt know how to put fuel in the car or how to change a wheel correctly, maybe basic maintainance should be a fundamental part of learning to drive

Test should be tougher, but getting the student lost and panicked doesnt seem to serve much of a purpose. sure no one tells you where to go once youve passed, but thats what a map is for. i would certaintly have failed if i had to do this in my test, id never been to the town before.

I would prefer much more attention given to driving in adverse conditions, skidpan sessions, flood driving, and night driving.

plus i agree with HDI that the exam should focus much more on the observation skills of a student, too many people dont seem to know what they or any other road user is doing at any one time.

Interesting point, i passed my test , but found i didnt know how to put fuel in the car or how to change a wheel correctly, maybe basic maintainance should be a fundamental part of learning to drive

Totally agree. Driving is relatively easy on a superficial level. Modern cars are dead simple to drive. They're light on the controls, grippy and sticky. Observation, perception and planning are still required, however. You've said this.

The adverse conditions points you make are interesting, too. I've have thought about this, having adapted and 'grown' those skills over 20 odd years but I've only had a relatively small amount of formal training.

I reckon if some training for poor grip situations was included in basic driver training it would give drivers a better insight in many ways. I'll use the word skid here fairly liberally, although there are many different types of skids and many different causes:

1. Learning to control a skid (of any type) is clearly a good thing;

2. Learning how to avoid such a skid is good;

3. Learning how to provoke a skid (a loss of directional control) has got to be the very best way of learning how NOT to provoke one.

You ought to go and work for the DVLA mate.

Bloody good post.

the test shouldnt be as hard as it is. i failed first time when i was reversing round a corner and a car came up and turned into the same juction. i stopped when i saw him but seeing he was going into the same junction i went again thinking it wouldnt be a problem as i am not putting anyone at danger or anything. so when i got back to the test centre i found out that i got a major for that but only got 3 minors!!!

so i think the examiners are too strict because everyone that has a full licence know that they would have done the same that i did.

the test shouldnt be as hard as it is. i failed first time when i was reversing round a corner and a car came up and turned into the same juction. i stopped when i saw him but seeing he was going into the same junction i went again thinking it wouldnt be a problem as i am not putting anyone at danger or anything. so when i got back to the test centre i found out that i got a major for that but only got 3 minors!!!

so i think the examiners are too strict because everyone that has a full licence know that they would have done the same that i did.

I think there's too much focus on the 'set pieces' such as this example.

But there's far too little focus on observation and planning. Most drivers in the UK are very poor at this.

but what if the driver was just going to spin around in the junction ? did that thought you through your mind ?

i failed on something similar going down a narrow street, with cars parked all down one side, (has since been widened considerably) another car came flying up the street so i pulled in close to a parked car and stopped. failed because the examiner thought it was dangerous.

the test needs to be harder imo, but harder in what it contains. no longer using preset routes would be a good one. most examiners use the same ones at the same time on the same days. so your instuctor has a very good idea of what route youd be on by the time and date of your test.

motorway driving should be compulsory - way too many just go on the Mway overtake the 1st car then stick in the middle.

basic maintenance - checking oil, water, tyres etc although some of this is now in the test.

also a 3 point limit and extended retest for the 1st year might stop so many young uns passing then acting like they are driving gods.

I spoke to my uncle about this (who is a driving examiner) and he was saying in this situation if the other car goes around you when you have stopped then you can continue, if not you have to go back out and start again.

He thinks these new revisions are worthless and will make no difference, and that they should concentrate on the more improtant things like motorway driving, all weather conditions and different things that will come up in your theory test. And to be fare, I think I agree with him.