Is the driving test tough enough

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think the driving test is hard enough?

Should a series of retests be made compulsory to drivers every 10 or 20 years or so, and do you think this would improve the general driving standard?

I for one would be happy to be retested but fear I would be in the minority.

IMO most drivers have not had further instruction since gaining their license and have developed poor habits over the years that need addressing as well as the need to be conversant with the current road rules IF they really want to be considered a safe skillful driver.

I'd be happy to be re-tested. But I also think that driving test style driving is not the best. It'd be a shame to fail on levels of anticipation that aren't generally seen by test applicants

Actually, the IAM are doing a free 1 hour driving assessment at the moment and the offer runs out in September sometime.
Giving this some serious thought at the moment.

IAM plural?? Don't start me on this one please :D

Os, I'd give the IAM a miss. It's stuck in the 1960's. Morris Minors, car coats and trilbies. P.O.W.E.R. checks and silly little motifs suchs as 'only a fool breaks the two second rule'. The principles are sound but the way they are applied will likely drive you to Class A substances.

I suggest this, which, although not free, is far more informative and enjoyable: http://www.ridedrive.co.uk

Os, I'd give the IAM a miss. It's stuck in the 1960's. Morris Minors, car coats and trilbies. P.O.W.E.R. checks and silly little motifs suchs as 'only a fool breaks the two second rule'. The principles are sound but the way they are applied will likely drive you to Class A substances.

I suggest this, which, although not free, is far more informative and enjoyable: http://www.ridedrive.co.uk

wile I was a IAMQ assessor many long years ago I didn't agree with their "no IAM driver will ever lose control"mantra and "will never need to apply opposite lock or get into a skid" This was long before any of the electric nannies that are commonplace today that help drivers who have little /no feel of car dynamics

My argument was that nobody can apply 100% concentration 100% of the time and eventually we all have lapses from time to time and can get caught out .

Had a look at the courses and they look to be really good and cover a wide range of skill levels|B

This drives me nuts too. Cricket is the main culprit in my eyes:

Innings.

England are 30 runs behind.

England need 3 wickets to win.

England have won the Ashes.

The Indians (who we taught English to) get it right!

The Guardian, of all tomes, uses plurals incorrectly.

On the driving front (to TCJB)) - you've got to be really pushing hard in a modern car to need to apply opposite lock to stay on the road.

If we know how to provoke a skid then we know how to avoid provoking one.

Last edited:
The Guardian, of all tomes, uses plurals incorrectly.

On the driving front (to TCJB)) - you've got to be really pushing hard in a modern car to need to apply opposite lock to stay on the road.

If we know how to provoke a skid then we know how to avoid provoking one.

me a B) o_O ???? :rofl::rofl: May I take that as a compliment?-/

It's the unexpected that can catch us all out like the first shower of rain after a long dry spell and the H2O added to oil and diesel drops make for a slippery mix :eek: or the cow droppings just around a blind corner where the farmer takes them across to another field.
Another scenario is where a driver who is not switched on and situationaly aware is when going from a dry sunny surface into a shaded area and the surface is still wet from rain,dew,fog and you don't have to be pushing too hard to lose grip in a tight corner in that situation IMO

Last edited:
me a B) o_O ???? :rofl::rofl: May I take that as a compliment?-/

It's the unexpected that can catch us all out like the first shower of rain after a long dry spell and the H2O added to oil and diesel drops make for a slippery mix :eek: or the cow droppings just around a blind corner where the farmer takes them across to another field.
Another scenario is where a driver who is not switched on and situationaly aware is when going from a dry sunny surface into a shaded area and the surface is still wet from rain,dew,fog and you don't have to be pushing too hard to lose grip in a tight corner in that situation IMO

If you lose grip, you are pushing too hard, simple as!!!

What I am trying to convey, and you will agree I am sure, is that anticipation starts before the car twitches.

Random example - navigating an open air car park, very slowly, and it starts to rain. What happens? Pedestrians start rush and take less care looking out for moving cars.

I am talking of pre-emptive avoidance rather than correction. You know what I'm on about.

Correction skills are necessary, too, of course, because we all make mistakes occasionally. But if our driving consists mostly of correction (or constant ESP, DSC etc whatever intervention) then maybe it's time to ramp up the anticipation levels.

Agreed but we may be on slightly different wavelengths in explaining our point of view

One can lose grip due to a change of surface where one has a high level of grip to one with a low level for example in some rural areas with different local councils I have encountered surface changing from good hotmix that changed to a hot bitumen spray with river pea gravel thrown over it and in the wet very dangerous and a trap for the unwary:eek:

Aappreciate your point of view and input .:)|B

I would never advocate that anyone intentionally drive in a manner that leads to loss of grip and some oppy lock correction on public roads.

Funny thing is after driving in events have no inclination to speed on public roads .

Am all for learning/reading/hearing different points of view on all things as can always learn from others|B

No, I think we're on very much the same wavelength with the same programme material. You're filling in my gaps and vice versa.

It's one of the best aspects of this site.

Last edited:
This drives me nuts too. Cricket is the main culprit in my eyes:

Innings.

England are 30 runs behind.

England need 3 wickets to win.

England have won the Ashes.

The Indians (who we taught English to) get it right!

I find many of the best exponents of English are those who have it (English) as a second language.

Super pedant mode now....

The Indians (to whom we taught English) ..... would be preferable. :D

Last edited: