Saving fuel by slipstreaming

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you slipstream the car in front to save fuel?

Does it work? How close do you have to be to make this effective and how dangerous is slipstreaming?

Personally I don't think you can drive safely and close enough to gain any effect unless you are behind something really big, but the chances they are going fast enough in the first place is pretty slim.

the thought crossed my mind many times , i think we require high speed and a large vehicle in front on a windy day for it to actually help in saving fuel ... just my non professional opinion

Do you slipstream the car in front to save fuel?

Does it work? How close do you have to be to make this effective and how dangerous is slipstreaming?

Personally I don't think you can drive safely and close enough to gain any effect unless you are behind something really big, but the chances they are going fast enough in the first place is pretty slim.

Drafting is not only Dangerous, but highly illegal here (written as following to close or reckless endangerment if a issue arises from it) and I assume most everywhere else in the World. The racing community, especially NASCAR totally know the risks versus the small advantages it produces and dramatically find out the results when the sheite hits the fan, it is NOT just a single car crash! :woot:

I know a chap who actually does this when he enters and leaves the congestion charge zone. He drives right up to the bumper of the vehicle in front so the cameras can't see him o_O Just waiting for his first accident before I can say to him "I told you this would happen" and then laugh in his face |B

That too has crossed my mind xD but you cant tell what the driver infront of you is thinking , i doubt one can react in time when hes that close to the car infront , Better to just that custom license plate that switches with a press of a button

Any driver who does that is a tailgater and an accident waiting to happen.
In good conditions one needs to be 2 seconds apart and in bad 3 seconds+.
The above recommendations will need to be increased IF you have a heavy load as it will take far longer to stop.