fuel saving

steve09

Track Warrior
Car
Honda NSR 125R
aaaah i bet you all thought it would be some handy tip on how to get more mpg from standard fuel..... but no :p

does anyone know how much fuel you are allowed to store in your garage at any one time? as it happerns i am going to be getting a bike licence very shortly, and i was thinking of getting a couple of 20L metal jerry cans to store some high octane fuel for my car in am emergancy but mainly so when i go out for a blat on my bike i can just fill it back up from the comfort of my garage.
oh and does petrol go off?

(i know prolly gonna be the first bike user on this forum so, please try to keep the insults funny :p)

Last edited:
Petrol does, allegedly, go 'off'. I only store it for my lawn mower and it seems to cope OK but it's a tiny little 4 stroke 2 cylinder thing (about 160cc).

I assume if you store it in airtight cans and don't have lots of air in the can it should be OK. Keeping 2 litres at the bottom of a container for long periods might cause ingress of rust etc.

I'm not aware of any law that controls how much you can store. If it's safely stored then no issue in my opinion. And approved cans should meet all requirements anyway.

I think that is the key - you need to use approved containers. Make sure there is good ventilation and that the wiring is in good condition. A spark from a light switch would be all you need to ignite the fumes.

dont think there is a law after all the van hire bloke out the front of me has atleast 500+ leaters of diesel sitting in the back room

petrol does go off well i think it more a case of gets water in it but thats takes years

Waxing is a problem with petrol and this clogs up your filters and causes bad running. All petrol is treated already for storage but this still is not perfect. I wouldn't leave petrol standing for more than a few months (and then it would need to be a full tank)