Fuel saving devices

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How much would you pay for a genuine fuel saving device that could cut your fuel bill by a third?

For me I would pay around £1000 but I'd need concrete proof that it works, there are so many snakeoils and scams out there you'd be wary.

I actually have in mind an LPG conversion, this could nearly half my fuel bill but I'm still not totally sold on the idea, plus our nearest LPG fuel station is around 13 miles away!

A chap at work had his Nissan people carrier thing converted to LPG and swore by the savings per mile he was getting. He even got a contribution towards the cost from the council once he supplied proof that the conversion had actually been fitted. Downside is the availability of LPG pumps at petrol stations :sad2:

There used to be something call the Powershift grant to assist with conversion costs.

I have heard of valve seat recession problems with some cars on LPG - can anyone elaborate.

Waynne shouldn't get any problems with the valve seat in a direct injection engine! :D

I'd pay around £1.5k to save a third but I'd need to keep the car for a good few years to make it viable.

Cut this fropm a Company that fits LPG to diesels:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Using LPG in your engine has a number of advantages. When the gas is in the engine, it has some very beneficial properties, as seen below:[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]s. When the gas is in the engine, it has some very beneficial properties, as seen below:
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1. Full burn of the diesel, as opposed to a normal engine only burning about 80%. As a result of this, there is no black smoke seen from the exhaust.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2. Emissions are reduced significantly.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3. An economic saving of up to 25% in fuel costs.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]4. Due to the nature in which the gas burns, a slight power increase is also noticed, we try to keep this below 10% to eliminate engine/gearbox damage.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]5. As proven with petrol / LPG engines, being a clean, total burn fuel, the LPG actually seems to clean the engine, thus prolonging it's life[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] seems to clean the engine, thus prolonging it's life[/FONT]

Propane on a diesel engine is awesome...I've done some research on this...

just got to be careful of a few things....

EGT's, cylinder pressures, also propane works best of direct inject diesels due to lower compression ratios which brings me onto the next point.... pre detonation, too much with pre ignite and wreck your engine... water injection can be used to prevent this when using loads of propane,

but another plus point, it can also be used a supplemental when used with nitrous...

Mine is a Direct Injection Petrol engine! FYI. - All the new Audi FSI engines are.

I didn't realise that LPG could be fitted to diesels, I thought the fuel type and nature of the engines made LPG impractical.

You don't run it instead of, you run it as well as.....

you can do it with Methanol, and even petrol if it's high enough octane.....

and Waynne your car is perfect for conversion to LPG cause it is a Direct inject petrol, so it has the hard valve seats :)