Most common driving mistakes

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are the most common driving mistakes and bad habits that drivers get into?

Do you think palm steering counts as a bad habit?

Commonest and most dangerous mistakes are failing to look and failing to think.

I think palm steering looks retarded and tiring to perform. It also seriously reduces steering control. Apart from the occasional very tight reversing move I never do it.

You see these chavs round here with right palm on wheel; left hand hanging onto gear stick; left foot perched over clutch in anticipation of the next lightning speed gearchange. All in 1.1 litre Saxo with four passengers jammed in.

The most common mistake is believing that you are a better driver than you actually are.

To be good at anything you need both training and practice. All the training most drivers get is just enough to scrape through the test. They then assume they are fully trained (they haven't even driven on a motorway and probably never been out in the dark)

Simply driving around isn't practice, it's looking for somewhere to have a crash :)

"Simply driving around isn't practice, it's looking for somewhere to have a crash "

Well put and very accurate. I think where many struggle is that they think passing the simple L-test is the end of the learning process.

I'm still learning, albeit more slowly than I was 24 years ago but we can never know it all or experience it all.