Recalls - are they more common

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
There have been a few recalls in recent years, most notably Toyota and now the new Corsa.

Are recalls more common? Do companies care more? Have you ever had a car recalled due to a manufacturing fault?

My girlfriend bought a brand new 2014 plate Beetle. She has had it for less than a month and already the handbrake cable has given way. She parked it on a slight incline by her grandmothers and about an hour later the alarm went off and her wing mirror is pushed in and scratched to buggery. It was on the drive way and moved roughly half a meter.

My girlfriend bought a brand new 2014 plate Beetle. She has had it for less than a month and already the handbrake cable has given way. She parked it on a slight incline by her grandmothers and about an hour later the alarm went off and her wing mirror is pushed in and scratched to buggery. It was on the drive way and moved roughly half a meter.

Was it parked in 1st gear or Park if auto :confused:
TIP :) press on foot brake when engaging handbrake.

It's manual mate.

It was left in neutral, which shouldn't really effect the car at all. It wasn't on a slope, but just an incline. Nothing massive... Shouldn't need to leave it in gear, defeats the point of a handbrake.

It's manual mate.

It was left in neutral, which shouldn't really effect the car at all. It wasn't on a slope, but just an incline. Nothing massive... Shouldn't need to leave it in gear, defeats the point of a handbrake.

Afraid we will have to agree to disagree regarding the need to park it in 1st or reverse gear depending on the direction.:(
The simple fact that it rolled away from where it was parked due to an ineffective parking brake or the lack of enough pressure applied should be reason to change your thinking on this matter IMO :)

I can see you point mate. I just don't think you should HAVE to put it in gear if the handbrake is on. Also, it was pulled up far enough...

Some times when the wind is literally blowing in the right direction you can smell an odd burning smell coming from the car. I think she needs to take it back and buy a Mini like mine! haha

Oh bless him, he must be pulling his hair out right now! :blink:

I wish I knew something about website design to be able to give him a helping hand ;)

I can see you point mate. I just don't think you should HAVE to put it in gear if the handbrake is on. Also, it was pulled up far enough/(QUOTE)

Some times when the wind is literally blowing in the right direction you can smell an odd burning smell coming from the car. I think she needs to take it back and buy a Mini like mine! haha

"far enough" may not be hard enough due to adjustment or due to the HB cable stretching and releasing clamping strength hence my tip/recommendation of applying the foot brake to get maximum clamping pressure when applying the HB

PS IMO there would not be any PROFESSIONAL driving schools/instructors that would teach not parking the car in the lowest gear in any scenario.

Is it being driven with the handbrake on or foot resting on the clutch pedal resulting in clutch slipping /burnt smell.:confused:

Last edited:
"far enough" may not be hard enough due to adjustment or due to the HB cable stretching and releasing clamping strength hence my tip/recommendation of applying the foot brake to get maximum clamping pressure when applying the HB

PS IMO there would not be any PROFESSIONAL driving schools/instructors that would teach not parking the car in the lowest gear in any scenario.

Is it being driven with the handbrake on or foot resting on the clutch pedal resulting in clutch slipping /burnt smell.:confused:

I was never taught to put the car in gear when leaving the handbrake up! :(

There was ample force being applied to the hand brake as it was literally as far as it would go mate.

No, she doesn't rest her foot on the clutch or drive with the handbrake up! Ha!

It's literally when she pulls away or reverses.

Dav please don't get me wrong ,just trying to solve the mystery of the runaway car.

IF as you say the HB was "as far as it would go " was it at the end of it's operating range and unable to have more pressure applied due to wear of the pads or stretch in the cables and needing adjustment :confused:

RE the smell problem I was only playing "the devils advocate " and asking the question to see if that may have been the cause.
Does she ride the clutch/lit it slip too long when taking off or reversing :confused:

Last edited:
Dav please don't get me wrong ,just trying to solve the mystery of the runaway car.

IF as you say the HB was "as far as it would go " was it at the end of it's operating range and unable to have more pressure applied due to wear of the pads or stretch in the cables and needing adjustment :confused:

RE the smell problem I was only playing "the devils advocate " and asking the question to see if that may have been the cause.
Does she ride the clutch/lit it slip too long when taking off or reversing :confused:

The handbrake was as far as it needed to go which was at its peak bite. If that makes sense...

I appreciate your help mate, its not you, its me... :lol:
I can't explain things at all, I'm terrible at it!

She lifts up as soon as she needs too and doesn't hold it over a period at all. If she did, I'll normally say something! :)

Anyway, back to the plot :)

Cars are so much more complicated now than even 10 years ago that it is inevitable that there is more chance of thngs going wrong.