Does 0-60 times matter more than torque and power

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How much weight do you give a cars 0-60 times?

We all drive 30-60 usually but this is rarely quoted for a car. Do you look more at the torque or power figures? Should we be looking at a Torque graph rather than a headline power figure?

No! You don't do 0-60 very often at all. I've driven cars with a good 0-60 time and they felt slow in everyday driving compared to a car with more top end power.

You need the power where you drive and for most of us it's at the low 1/3 of the rev range between 30 and 50 most of the time.

I have to agree with you @thexav . It's just a shame that the manufacturers only list the 0-60 times.

A few magazines of 10 years ago used to list 30-50 and 50-70 figures but I don't recall seeing that in any modern stats. It would be handy to know for comparison purposes!

0-60 is for kids and corsas .
And If you must use the zero make the other figure a minimum of 100
As far as power goes........
There is a huge difference between power (bhp) and torque although you very rarely get a lot of one without the other.

You're into quarter mile times territory now. That's actually not a bad idea. Quote the quarter mile time and exit speed on new car listings - that would be more useful than the 0-60.

The other annoying thing is that people often do a 0-60 run themselves and assume their car is faster but completely fail to realise that their speedo is under reading by 10%! So they are in reality saying their 0-54mph run is faster than the manufacturers 0-60 time, no shocker there!

As over half the cars on the road are diesel buyers should be aware diesels are not very good at 0-60 but in gear will out accelerate a lot of more powerful petrol powered models. Can't believe I just said that! I've really turned to the dark side :eek: