Harness choice and fitting

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
I have been looking at 3 & 4 point harnesses for the beast for both driver and passenger front seats. Doing more track days this year and the seat belts are not up to my driving style :embarrest: I intend to keep the original inertia seat belt set up intact, but I wish to use the OEM fixing points i.e. double up where possible as I want to avoid drilling any other holes.

I like the Corbeau sets but could do with some advice on other makes that people would recommend. It must be quality, have a strong clasp set up and be at least 50mm wide on the lap belt and 75mm on the over the shoulder straps.

The harnesses must not encroach on the rear seats at all, as I have to carry passengers on occasion (I hate that!).

Any ideas guys? :)

A lot of harnesses require the loss of the rear seats as they tend to attach to a roll cage. Have you got the OEM seats still?

A lot of harnesses require the loss of the rear seats as they tend to attach to a roll cage. Have you got the OEM seats still?

I do still have the rear seats and they have to remain. I was thinking about a 3 point harness using the 2 fixing points on either side of the front seats, then making some sort of bracket work behind the front seat for the 3rd fixing or making it a dual fixing for a 4 point harness.

I do still have the rear seats and they have to remain. I was thinking about a 3 point harness using the 2 fixing points on either side of the front seats, then making some sort of bracket work behind the front seat for the 3rd fixing or making it a dual fixing for a 4 point harness.

I suppose you could have brackets welded in place behind the rear bench to imitate where the harness would be if you had a roll cage. I would personally go with a 4 point harness as my Recaros are built to accomodate them.

Have you still got the OEM seats? Or have you already got bucket seats?

I suppose you could have brackets welded in place behind the rear bench to imitate where the harness would be if you had a roll cage. I would personally go with a 4 point harness as my Recaros are built to accomodate them.

Have you still got the OEM seats? Or have you already got bucket seats?

Still got OEM seats Prince although they are at the higher end of the Saab scale. These are so comfortable and the Turbo X seats have additional padding plus deeper bolsters to hold you in place when you are on a more spirited drive.

How about something like this Oz? ;)

takata0.jpg

I've used a retractable set on and off for over 10 years, made by Schroth/safety devices.
Cheaper on the Jamex website than the lik posted, plus its in this country !!:blink1:

I've used a retractable set on and off for over 10 years, made by Schroth/safety devices.
Cheaper on the Jamex website than the lik posted, plus its in this country !!:blink1:

Thanks for that, will check this website out in a moment.

When the MG is back to road trim with all seats in situ I use a Sabelt 3 point harness. The rear anchor uses the point behind the rear seats, this strap has a quick release buckle so can be tucked behind the seats. The front two points are snap rings so you just need to reassemble the lower inertia points by sandwiching an old seatbelt ring. See photos. I modified the anchor points so I could still use the OE seatbelt and remove the harness when not required.

Bought from here https://www.europaspares.com/36/HARNESSES.html

Rearharnessview.jpg

DSCF1101.jpg

If you want a race harness to actually work, the shoulder straps have to go back at as near to horizontal as possible. Anymore than 30 degrees from the horizontal and they become ineffective as much more upper body movement occurs before the belt stops it.

A properly fitted race harness will make track days more rewarding as they hold you securely as you try for that PB.

Unless you have a crutch strap, a race harness won't be much better than the OEM unit with regard to submarining (sliding out of the belt) in the event of a front end shunt

I suggest that you fit a decent 5 or 6 point harness (with a crutch strap) for track days and remove it when you have to carry passengers. Quick release clips makes this a pretty simple exercise and the slight inconvenience is far outweighed by the superior safety afforded by a properly installed harness. Also, for regular road use, race harnesses are a bit of a pain (from my experience anyway).

Can't remember, I assume that your seats have headrests?

Last edited:
@ Stamford, thanks for that buddy food for thought there ;)

@ OG, yes the seats do have headrests, they form part of the NCAP 5 star safety system for the car.
I was initially reluctant about the 5 point harness set up as I was worried about having anything drilled into the floor before and after the centre of the front seats, there are an awful lot of cables under there to negotiate/miss.

The system would also need to be removed without any effort as and when required; her indoors uses the car from time to time to take her and the rest of the witches coven out for a girls night out ;) she also tends to move the seat very far forward so I don't want to run the risk of the electric moving seats catching on anything.

I was initially reluctant about the 5 point harness set up as I was worried about having anything drilled into the floor before and after the centre of the front seats, there are an awful lot of cables under there to negotiate/miss.

I am sure that problem could be solved.

The system would also need to be removed without any effort as and when required; her indoors uses the car from time to time to take her and the rest of the witches coven out for a girls night out ;) she also tends to move the seat very far forward so I don't want to run the risk of the electric moving seats catching on anything.

Only fit the harness when required and I am sure, again, that a fixing could be designed that didn't foul anything. Alternatively, get a wife with longer legs.....Hmmmmmmm :)

Depends if you want to fit a fully functioning safety harness or just one for show :)