Haggling over car parts prices

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Most of us haggle with dealers and car sellers but do we think of doing this when buying parts or getting work done in a garage?

I've found that most shops and garages are willing to lower the price to get the sale/work.

What tips do you have for haggling?

1) Phone for prices and state you are ringing round.
2) Keep things friendly and don't be aggressive, use a "sob story".
3) Offer to buy more parts if a lower price is offered ie 4 tyres instead of 2 or get the brakes and suspension at the same time.

What is your best bit of haggling?

never haggel we are all here to make a living and do it at the lowest prices we can
we get it on mots we are not the cheapest as the garage just down there road does it for £20 less then us but we have more work then them some come in ah they do it for £30 round the corner i always say go to them then

sorry just the way i am i would never do it so dont like when people do it to me

I agree that when you have a regular garage you use then trust kicks in and there is no need for haggling. Where you are buying parts from a new source or consumables like tyres I would recommend haggling.

I never haggle with my regular garage because they already give me good prices as we have a good rapport. If I asked them for a discount then I don't doubt I'll start being charged for all the little extras they do as part of their service.

TESCOS haggling? No, why bother prices are pretty low to start with and there is not usually anyone in authority to ask anyway with a weekly grocery bill of £40 it is pointless. But buying wine or something in bulk for a wedding I would speak with the manager and would also get a discount. PCworld/Currys and other electronic stores will often knock off money on some items so it does work.

Just select a garage of workshop you're happy with and remain loyal. They'll do all they can reasonably do [in order] to keep your custom.
Got to agree with you on this. My local garage will often take a look at something for me whilst the car is up on the ramp for free.

We are one of the few countries that find it difficult to haggle. In many countries you would be considered a mug if you didn't haggle.

Many years ago we had something called RRP (recommend retail price) which many businesses hid behind and we accepted that the marked price wasn't negotiable.

My wife hates shopping with me. If I am buying more than one item I always ask for a discount. Most times I get one. if not then I put the items back and go somewhere else. I willthen say that so and so shop refused to give me a discount. Amazingly this has only failed a very few times.

In today's financial climate it should be even easier to get discounts.

My radiator and intercooler are being made to my specification so I expect to pay a premium for this. However, the fabricator is happy to be 'flexible' on the price as I will be paying cash :) Always a good ploy.

The price shown is only an invitation to 'treat' not a figure cast in stone. If you don't ask you don't get. The seller doesn't have to change his price and you don't have to buy. Just don't get upset if a discount it not offered as sometimes the margins are already very tight.

When buying parts, I often find that to get the best prices I would have to buy from several dealers, incuring extra P&P. So I chose the best supplier and ask if he can match the best prices from elsewhere. Invariably they will. Saved hundreds of pounds this way and now but my bits from a few select suppliers who get the benefit of my regular purchases, so it works for both parties.

never haggel we are all here to make a living and do it at the lowest prices we can
we get it on mots we are not the cheapest as the garage just down there road does it for £20 less then us but we have more work then them some come in ah they do it for £30 round the corner i always say go to them then

sorry just the way i am i would never do it so dont like when people do it to me

Thanks for making this point. So many consumers seem to resent paying for anything at all. It's the greed culture, symptomatic of the society in which we now live.

Thanks for making this point. So many consumers seem to resent paying for anything at all. It's the greed culture, symptomatic of the society in which we now live.

Yes, but this works both ways. The supplier will charge as much as he can get and the buyer wants to pay as little as possible. Negotiations take place and if a mutually agreeable price can be found, the deal is done. If not, then you both walk away. Seems pretty straightforward to me :) Seller doesn't have to sell and buyer doesn't have to buy.

Not all suppliers are greedy

Greedy, no, but all traders are trying to make as much money as they can, surely? If this means selling an item for less than you hoped for but still make a profit, rather than sticking to your price and not sellng it, I know which option I would chose.