Discounts and haggling with a main dealer

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What sort of discounts do you stick out for from a main dealer? Do you have any haggling tips or thing that you ask them to throw in?

I'm mid way through a haggle and I'd be curious to know how much others have got away with.

There is not a lot of margin in cars themselves, new or used. If it's a used car try go et them to top up the warranty to a full 3 years and a set of floor mats is reasonable. But if you're paying the right price for the car anyway there isn't room for much else really.

Let me know if you want to use one of my HPI checks.

The place where dealers make good profits is from commission for selling of finance packages. Apparently the ubiquitous payment protection insurance is a good money spinner for them, in terms of commission.

I managed to get 4 mats, a bottle of engine oil, a touch up kit and £500 off along with a years warrantee Free MOT and 7 days insurance cover! They did try hard selling me finance, I'd have got 3 years free servicing if I'd done it!

Why not go back and accept the finance, thus securing 3 years servicing.

The use your 28 day statutory cooling off period - cancel the finance, the dealer still gets his commission payment and you get your car serviced for free!!! This has been done before, quite successfully.

Incidentally, what car have you ordered?

The full tank of fuel is unlikely with today's prices. A litre of oil and a set of mats cost the dealer far less than their respective retail prices.

The catch was a £150 setup fee and you have to make the first payment and pay 1 months interest penalty.

Audi Servicing is £200 per year or £300 for a long life service so with this in mind and after doing the sums we'd only be likely to save £100 plus have the hassel of going through the credit application and then trying to pay it off again after the 30 day period.

I went for an Audi A4 2.0 T FSi Avant Quattro Sline Limited Edition. I didn't really want the quattro and I think because I was negative about the car the dealer bent over backwards for me to secure a sale. I'm pretty happy to have quattro though and I think I will really enjoy the car.

I have a sneaky suspicion it will only take super unleaded fuel! :(

Ah this is what I managed 14 months ago:

Mats all around, even in the boot.
Teflon coat on the paintwork.
50% off on the Insurance(Full) for the first year.
25% off on Insurance 2nd year(got that this last September).
Hand delivery of all documents and licenses, including the vehicle.
Free REG., Road Tax, and a waiver of Vat and Excise, for prefered customers.....( and till date, I have not even seen who the salesman was... ;) )

Ah yes! I was asked to finance it, to these options. But I live by a separate set of rules, and said so.

This happens only in India.

;) ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
Last October got my sister a new Suzuki Swift just after they announced a change in the model (they seem to have changed the rear lights only - its is the only cosmetic change, apart from theis the engine is 100cc smaller). So orignal price was gbp10500, we picked this up for gbp8000 with a gbp600 trade in for the Arosa (which was worth a damn sight less than this being 8yrs old and heavily used).

they tried with the finance but we just laughed at them as no chance would take financing from any off car dealer, even with 3yrs 0%. frankly think we got a very good deal

When buying a used car, crawl through that car and find any little defect or problem. Take off the wheels, open the hood, crawl under and through the car. Find problems, look for issues and be ruthless. Use this info to either talk down the price of the car, get the dealer to throw in extras OR talk up the price of the trade in. Make sure you know the value of your trade in and the cost of the buy-out or the value in the car if it is paid off.

When you find issues, have a smart phone handy so you can google the issue you find. m If it is a big prob or particularly expensive, it may be best to just walk away. If it is a small issue, you can talk it up like it's a big isue then fix it yourself for small money. My Genesis had water in the boot when I bought it. I googled the issue and found that weather stripping the tail lights fixes the issue. I made it sound like a deal breaker to the salesman and he gave me over max value for my trade in. I got an extra $2000 for my trade in and fixed the tail lights for $6. Thank you Hyundai crappy tail light seals!

When I bought the RS6 approved used a few days before Christmas in 2012, I managed £4k off their asking price. This did involve saying 'no thanks' to the deal and leaving. I left it as 'if you change your mind phone me'. I didn't even manage to drive all the way home before sales called to say if I can come back now and sign the paperwork, her managers approved it.