Buying a car - haggling

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What tips do you have for getting the price of a car reduced when buying it? Do you haggle with car sellers?

I tend to ring up first and agree the price before I see the car and then haggle again if there are faults on the car. This works particularly well with dealers who want to get you into the showroom.

I tend to buy privately, not from the show room, and go over the car with a fine toothcomb pointing out every little thing thats wrong with it. And nego a bit on the price - if they dont like it then just leave, often receive a call an hour later saying they accept.

i never do on anything
it is up for a price and thats it way i see it you dont go into tesco and haggle there so should not do it anywere else
i dont sell that many cars i sell most of mine to the trade but we are all here to earn a bit of money

i have only bought 2 cars off a car front that i dont know both times its in my lunch or before work so i am in my overalls with the garage name on so they know i am in the trade and both times they just drop the price with out a word but both times i was going to pay full money

you dont go into tesco and haggle there so should not do it anywere else

The only reason you don't haggle in Tesco is because the staff have no authority to haggle with you unless the product is faulty!

Haggling is healthy and stems back from the dark ages.

I've never paid the asking price for a car... simply because nobody sain advertises something at their bottom/best price.

i haggle on anything i can lol

always out for a bargain, as said no-one advertises at the price they will take, if im selling something, more times than not i will advertise it for a little bit more than what i want as most people will try and knock you down abit and feel better for buying something if they think got a bit of a bargain :)

An ill wind......

If you have money in a recession there are always deals to be made.

Any price is just an invitatiion to trade. If you pay the full ticket price at a car dealer you are either mad or have too much money :)

The price marked is based on the assumption that the punter will ask for a discount. The final price that you expertly beat him down to is what he wants for the car anyway :)

I always negotiate, suggest cash deal, etc, don't always succeed but I have the choice of either accepting or walking away.

However, when selling I have a slightly different approach. I decide what price I am prepared to sell an item for and that's what I advertise it at. If a buyer offers me less I up the price. When they ask why I say 'well, you started it!' So far, I have always got the original asking price :)

I try haggling on almost everything. I even got discount entrance tickets to a club near me the other week. The old saying is "If you don't ask then you don't get".

Quite true.

My dads a sod for getting free dessert or drinks out of the local takeaways...

He likes to push for his "regular customer discount".

the only times i have paid full asking price is the few £100 run arrounds i have bought apart from them i have always got money off the asking price :bigsmile: