Full fuel tanks and weight

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Does the weight of the fuel you carry in a full tank have much of an effect on your MPG?

"The last bit of fuel in your tank seems to last longer than the first bit" I'm told - this is not my experience though :eek:

Do you always brim your tank or do you make regular trips for smaller fill ups? (Do these fill ups take more fuel than you save?)

I do have an opinion on this and had an interesting "debate" with a friend over it so hopefully it will prove to be a lively discussion as we explore this topic :D;).

theoretically the fuller the tank the lower the mpg that should be done. a long time ago i used to only fill up half a tank as i thought i could make some ultimate saving on how much fuel was being used as the car was lighter - but any potential savings need to be weighed against the pain in the arse factor of having to go to the petrol station twice as much and the extra cost of that journey to the petrol station - believe it was really a fools errand, now i just ram the thing to the top everytime. The Subaru doesnt need much time between petrol stops in anycase.

I would have thought in theory the less fuel the more economical the car is,due to weight,but it probably depends on the car,a range rover is not going to have a noticable effect because it weighs so much int he first place,maybe in a lotus you would see a noticable difference ?

Pretty much spot on franki68. A modern family car weighs about 1500kg, and probably has about 50kg of fuel when full. That's about 3% of the weight of the car - pretty much negligible.

Not a bad idea. As Clarkson once said to an epic exhaust note... "your listening to the sound of money exploding".

It does seem to make sense that you'd save fuel by running around with a maximum of half a tank of fuel.