Full exhaust system or back box and de cat

thefeet

Wrench Pro
Car
bmw
Hello all :D

Im just wondering if you think a full exhaust system is worth the extra £150+ than just a back box. Im looking at improving the look buy adding a twin exit exhaust but the full system doesnt add that much power does it ? could i just put a back box on then shove a de cat pipe on it ? im not really after much power ( bmw 316 1.9 ) so it wont get much more but just want to improve the look or should i go for the full system just whilse im playing about with the exhaust anyways?

Hello all :D

Im just wondering if you think a full exhaust system is worth the extra £150+ than just a back box. Im looking at improving the look buy adding a twin exit exhaust but the full system doesnt add that much power does it ? could i just put a back box on then shove a de cat pipe on it ? im not really after much power ( bmw 316 1.9 ) so it wont get much more but just want to improve the look or should i go for the full system just whilse im playing about with the exhaust anyways?

I'm not really into exhaust and intake mods (diesel engines breathe fairly well anyway and don't need to rev much, if at all, past 5000rpm) but in your case I'd spend the extra few quid and do the whole system. You won't get all that much more power but I reckon it makes sense to avoid a bottleneck with the standard downpipe.

Decat pipes will probably render the car illegal for road use, so you might want to consider a low back pressure sport converter instead. Unfortunately this means more money :-(

I know the 8v 1.9 engine is not a monster (110-115 bhp, I think) but they are very flexible units and often feel quicker than you'd expect for their output. Much like the eight valve 2.0 Golf GTi MkIV

the only thing i knew here is, backpressure is something annoying...
when you start modifying your cars, specially your engine, backpressure become useless, backpressure need only to achieve maximum fuel consumption effectively and less sound. so, go for full system, it's much more fun... :lol:

ive been quoted £135 for just a twin exit backbox :blink: and £250-300 for a cat back system.

Thing is the 1.9 BMW lump isnt the most tunable is it as its my daily driver im not looking for any silly amount of horse power but i wouldnt knock back some either :p

what about a panel filter ( heard induction kits arnt good on BMW ), exhaust with de cat pipe, remap ? so that'll cost about £500 - or there abouts

panel filter with a lovely big cold air feed to it will help but dont expect much more than a couple of bhp.

back box wont add power only noise
cat back will get a little power
decat will free up the gas but might cause other issues - also a pain to swap back for a mot.
remap - prob at 8-10bhp
might also be worth looking to getting a more free flowing exhaust manifold

panel filter with a lovely big cold air feed to it will help but dont expect much more than a couple of bhp.

back box wont add power only noise
cat back will get a little power
decat will free up the gas but might cause other issues - also a pain to swap back for a mot.
remap - prob at 8-10bhp
might also be worth looking to getting a more free flowing exhaust manifold

so it isn't really worth spending £500+ then cause there's not much power to be had. It was just the twin exit that I was after but then if i could of got a bit more power doing the exhaust I would of but it looks like I'll be seeing just over 10 bhp for all rhe work?

the back box will only make noise
the decat and remap might see you around 15bhp gain. but remember it will be through the range so in some places it might give a slightly bigger increase.