Full service time for my baby!

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Well, it's that time of year again when the Beast goes in for the full on pamper treatment ;)

I will be at Neo's on Saturday morning bright & early getting all the fluids & filters changed and whatever else needs doing. Just had that Water Wetter solution delivered today from Demon Tweeks, so this will be added to the coolant, it will be interesting to see if I notice any difference. I might even replace the windscreen wipers too, noticed a bit of smearing on the screen on occasion, I have given them a good wipe over but they are no different. Also might change the windscreen washer jets as they are starting to look grey in colour. |B

Are you sure about Water Wetter? It has been reported that in some cases it has caused corrosion within the cooling system. I suppose this depends entirely upon the metals and other materials that are used in your particular engine. However, I have no idea if any of this has been substantiated and proven.

Thanks for that Paul, I better do some more research before I have the guys pour it into the heart of the Beast!
I have seen it pop up a few times on different modifiers websites without a complaint, that's not to say it's actually any good but then I have not heard anything bad ?-/

It only cost £17.90 delivered to the door so the cost can easily be written off if need be.

I get the idea that it's intended for use in race engines which are usually filled with plain distilled water only - this will cool better than an anti-freeze & water mix. Plain water has a higher specific heat capacity than a AF/water blend.

Of course there is no ice protection and no corrosion protection but in the case of an engine which is drained after cool down at the end of the race it's not an issue.

I would be very very cautious about using water-wetter or Royal Purple's PurpleIce in a cooling system that is going to remain filled for road use.

If you are experiencing higher than ideal combustion chamber temps or coolant temps then firstly try cleaning the radiator with a jet was lance from the inside pointing out through the grille at the front of the car. The amount of airborne gunk that accumulates in the radiator fins is startling.

As always Paul, I am indebted to you for sharing your knowledge with a relative newbie with regards to all this ?-/
I do appreciate the heads up :D

I would recommend caution when useing a hi pressure water lance as it is easy to damage the cooling fins.

I have no experience with Evans waterless coolants so hopefully there will be someone with 1st hand experience in a daily driver.

http://www.evanscoolants.com.au/

I think one of the benefits is in the event of a spill it is not as dangerious as the nornal coolant mix re loss of grip to other cars.

I would recommend caution when useing a hi pressure water lance as it is easy to damage the cooling fins.

I have no experience with Evans waterless coolants so hopefully there will be someone with 1st hand experience in a daily driver.

http://www.evanscoolants.com.au/

I think one of the benefits is in the event of a spill it is not as dangerious as the nornal coolant mix re loss of grip to other cars.

Good point about rad fins and damage from high pressure water jets.

I think I recall reading about Evans' waterless coolant. If I recall correctly, it is highly flammable. Not something I want flowing around hoses under the bonnet of my {road} car.

To be honest I have no idea Obi! I leave the choice entirely up to the guys. All I know is that it is fully synthetic and designed for very high powered turbocharged cars.
A number of oils, even synthetic ones, take a hell of a battering in a turbocharged engine, so I take no chances and the Beast gets two oil changes a year without fail. So much money is invested in that engine that for the little cost of the engine oil, two changes just gives me peace of mind.

[QUOTE="HDi fun,

I think I recall reading about Evans' waterless coolant. If I recall correctly, it is highly flammable. Not something I want flowing around hoses under the bonnet of my {road} car.[/QUOTE]

Paul my info is that it is combustable and not "highly inflamable " no more so than Glycol that would be left after the water vapourised after contacting a hot manifold in the event of a pressure leak spraying onto a turbo manifold .
The advantage of waterless coolants is that they don't pressureise the cooling systemso there is far less chance of a hose bursting or coming loose .

Water only expands minimally when heated. But if the cooling system is pressurised then the boiling point (of water) will be higher than 100 degrees anyway. I also gather that Evan's waterless coolant has a lower specific heat capacity than plain water so what's the benefit? Assuming no leaks occur then water and [whatever anti-freeze you use, it's not all ethylene-glycol] is likely to be superior.

Here is a similar product you may want to investigate.

http://liquidintelligence115.com.au/

Paul i have an EM from the Evans distributor that explains how it works etc but don't know how to attatch it to my post If you care to tell me how OR pm me your EM details happy to send it to you

Had the full service done but unfortunately some bad news :(

The radiator was discovered to have a small leak which is not easy to repair by all accounts. A brand new one has been ordered and I shall take the Beast back on Friday morning to have it fitted |B

I had a rad done on the 5 series when it hit ten years of age - they're a known weak spot on those cars. Wasn't outrageously expensive. mostly because RWD cars are generally slightly easier to work on in terms of space and access. Glad you're fixing it properly, not adding the dreaded RADWELD or similar.

The RADWELD would never have entered my head Paul, this car develops way too much power relying on it's cooling capabilities to keep everything in check; to ever take a shortcut on a repair ;)

IF the radiator is an alloy one then you may want to have the tecs check for stray electrical current as am told that it can cause corrosion in ally radiators.

Really!! Never heard of that before Rad :woot: I will ask the question Monday and get them to give the Beast a thorough going over on Friday before they start the exchange ;)

Last edited:
I spoke to a garage and not THE garage earlier about the possibility of stray electrical current effecting the radiator.
Well, that was one of the shortest conversations I have ever had - so I shall avoid these people like the proverbial plague |B

That seens to be something that few mechanics/tecs appear to be aware of when the car has a corroded /leaking radiator
Did you get a blank face response when you dropped the question on them?

Knowledge is power.

Actually it was along the lines of my question to them - then their reply - "what are you talking about mate, you want to see someone about that!" then he hung up o_O

So everything is in readiness for the Beast and I to return to the garage tomorrow morning to have the radiator exchanged.
I aim to be there about 30 to 45 minutes before they open so as to give the mighty Beast time to cool down a little before the water pipes are disconnected. A burnt master technician is not a happy one ;)

Well, I have been back about an hour now from the garage. Were there any surprises? Yes there ruddy well was :(

The guys stripped down the front end in readiness to remove the damaged radiator.

After removing the radiator, the boss comes into the office to get me and show me some more bad news! The air conditioning condenser is perforated and has clear stone chips damage.

For goodness sake!

So I gave them permission to fit a brand new one of these too.

All of the air con gas was then removed and stored in this gadget.

With the gas being removed from this point here.

The auto transmission fluid was changed as there was not enough time to do it on the last visit, plus the drivers side electric window was reluctant to close even though a brand new regulator was fitted last year, so a new door rubber trim was fitted to sort this little issue out. All the works was now completed and the Water Wetter was also added to the new coolant.

Seven hours later and OMG £££'s handed over the counter, I drove off towards the old homestead very pleased with the technicians efforts today :)

Believe it or not Rad, it was removed and jet washed then dried before being oiled :woot:

I do have another one on route from Sweden after seeing the end result, it is actually suppose to be a lifetime filter :eek:

At £130 for a new one, it will be worth it to give me piece of mind ;)