Do you service regularly

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How frequently do you service your car? Do you keep the manufacturers recommended service or are you more relaxed or pedantic about servicing.

I go by the variable intervals on this particular car but never get to the overdue point. Seems to translate to oil service every 15,000-18,000 miles.

I do swap out air filters etc between services. Keep an eye on pads/discs etc.

Last edited:
I change mine every 9 months or so.
I spoke to my dad on wedesday who as a 1.2 clio as his commuter car (3mile round trip) and i asked him if he has ever serviced his car, he said "i think i did it once" oh dear dad! He's had the car for 7 years.

I'd rather run with the correct approved oil for the extended drain intervals than with cheap mineral or blended semi-synthetic changed every 3000 miles.

There was a nice little experiment done of this type. OK, it was allegedly funded by AMSOIL (they produce some of the finest automotive lubricants on the planet in my opinion). There's no reason to disbelieve the facts and findings however.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/foru...60k-no-oil-change-faired-better-than-every-3k

Last edited:
once a year without fail that's about 9 thousand miles at the moment.
Normaly the same day as the Mot test.
If my annual miles increase I will review it as required I will never let it go above 10
thousand.

Every year without fail. Autobox oil gets changed every year (Manufacturers state 3 years) and engine oil gets replaced twice a year as the turbo beats the hell out of it in 6 months.

Now, talking about automatic transmissions, mine is a six speed ZF Steptronic effort. BMW doesn't just not recommend changing the fluid, they recommend that you don't.

It's a sealed box, no dipstick, no filler etc.

The fluid is pricey I am led to believe.

Lot's of folks say you should change it..... Any thoughts chaps and girls??

^^^ I have never heard of that before, that's quite a bold statement even for the mighty BMW. I wonder HDi, could you speak to BMW UK direct for a definitive answer on this, or at least get it in writing from them? I know that BMW engineering is legendary but considering what an autobox goes through, I am amazed that the oil does not require a change :blink:

I have spoken to BMW UK's technical department !!!

I think the reason they advise against is that there are so many cowboys out there who botch it. But they are adamant in their statement that it's best left alone.

In fairness the changes are silky buttery smooth even at 140,000 miles