buying a car with no service history

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Would you buy a car with little or no service history?

Is a main dealer service history worth more than a local independent garage?

What is the minimum service history you'd accept.

What about long life intervals?

Main dealer history usually adds value for the seller. If the price is right then nil history is an option - there are no guarantees that any car is going to be 'good'.

there are no guarantees that any car is going to be 'good'.

Exactly Paul, friend of mine once bought a brand new Fiat Supermirafiori and in the first 8 weeks of his ownership it spent 5 of them back at the dealership under warranty being fixed :(

I'll add to regular oil changes that I like to see them done frequently too. (Once every 10 years is regular but not frequent enough if you see what I mean). I also like to see the correct oil being used. Many people seem to think that if you're changing every 3000 miles then you can use any oil at all. This is bad practice. Better to use the correct oil and change according to spec than the wrong stuff and change every five minutes.

I've recently bought a car with little history. But with 15 month's part's and labour warranty I'm not to fussed:D

I'll add to regular oil changes that I like to see them done frequently too. (Once every 10 years is regular but not frequent enough if you see what I mean). I also like to see the correct oil being used. Many people seem to think that if you're changing every 3000 miles then you can use any oil at all. This is bad practice. Better to use the correct oil and change according to spec than the wrong stuff and change every five minutes.

Yep, agree completely.

I'm changing the oil on the missus Yaris inbetween the regular services, so every 5k, with the proper oil as it's a timing chain car.

Yes, I prefer chains over belts for their durability - I had never considered their demands on engine oil !!

Note to self: Try harder next time.

The PD injectors in this Passat of mine give the worst of both worlds. Stupidly high loads on the cams which drive the unit injectors - which beats the crap out of the engine oil - and both camshafts driving this heavy load are belt driven.