Cheap thrills...

big_sid

Hi all... this is only my second post and I'm after opinions / advice here. I am looking to buy an old motor just to play around with. I want something small and quick and above all CHEAP.

A guy at work bought a Honda CRX for £700 just as a toy and a bit of a project and now I want something similar. I need some advice though. I want a motor with a bit of poke, something that handles well but that is old and cheap. Ideally something that can be modded quite cheaply too and has widely available cheap parts.

I've been considering...

Pug 205 GTi (1.6 or 1.9 not sure)
Toyota Corolla GTi 16v
Toyota MR2 MK1
Nova GTE, GSi or SRi
Honda CRX

You get the picture, but I'm open to suggestions of other makes / models. I don't want to spend more than about £1000 at first and I don't mind doing a bit of work on something I buy (provided it's fairly easy to work on). I'm looking for something about 1989 on.

Any ideas / comments??

Cheers - Sid

Theres only one choice for me - a Rover 220 GTi Turbo - very cheap now and you can fairly easily increase the power of it.

Check for oil leaks and regular servicing is a must but the car is good for a sub 7 seconds sprint to 60 and is a great handler with plenty of lift off oversteer.