[Help] Tuning 4 Cheap/Experience

Eddie208

Torque Junkie
Car
Peugeot 208 GTI - P
To get straight to the point - I want some relatively cheap mods that I can do myself and install as part of a learning process of becoming a tuner and hopefuly not a ricer.

I'm 18 so gotta wait till I'm 21 and get a new car before doing anything proper but I just want to do some small things to keep me happy and get to know more about it all. I suppose it will all be a bunch of stage 1 mods stuff like for starters im thinking a simple induction kit [Short ram] with perhaps a decent noise/air box and panels and other stuff.

Got a little Peugeot 208 Style [1.2L VTi] so not expecting much for performance increase, it's more about experience and feeling prideful when I finally tweak a car myself a little.

Want to hear what you guys suggest :)

You can avoid the ricer look by not bolting on exterior tat from halfrauds :)
Have you considered a turbo.... joking ;)

Engine wise I'm not convinced you'll see much improvement from a small engine, plus the variable valve timing (VTi) is already pretty good.
You might see some use from a K&N panel filter; to get more, cleaner, air into the engine. Plus it's relatively cheap and should sound nice :)

You might want to look at things away from the engine. Maybe lowering the suspension, upgrading the brake disks and pads. These won't see you going faster (obviously) but look good, give you better handling and an entry into modding that most people do last (guilty here, hence why I know about it :rofl:).

lol yeah I suppose so long as I don't block up every inch of the car with stickers I can avoid that stuff, and xD Yeah was thinking of just sglueing on a 3D model of a turbo onto my engine einstead to make myself feel better ahah.

yeah it's a 1.2 not expecting any performance really this is more for learning and getting my hands dirty really. It'll put soem hairs on my chest ^^

Certainly will get the K&N panel filter thats a good one cheers and not too fond on suspension will have to give it a thought but break disks and pads sounds brilliant will be adding that to the list for sure, thanks again mate :)

You may also consider fitting coilovers(if your Pug has struts) and lowering it a bit but "not fully sik slammed" low where you can't x a gutter or speed bump at the supermarket and fitting an adjustable rear bar to help tweak the turn in and dial out understeer or as the Merricans call it push.:lol:

Have the front alignment adjusted to have say 1.5 deg negative camber as that will also help corner turn in as well.

Fit a free flowing exhaust with a straight thru muffler/silencer.

Learn how to bleed the brakes.I have SPEED BLEEDERS fitted to my car and it makes bleeding them an ezy 1 man job.|B

Oh sweet added to the list, and yeah I don;t want to lower it too much for bumps n that but a little seems sensible as you say.

Never even heard of bleeding the brakes so got some research to do hear but will look into them certainly, thanks again for the addition :)

Eddie FYI brake fluid is "hygroscopic" meaning that it can become affected by water/moisture over time and can lead to brake fade as the fluid closest to the brake caliper can boil and cause the pedal to feel spongy and little stopping power.

You are more likely to experience this in a high speed emergency situation or at a track or when descending steep hills when there is the need for continual brake applications and the discs are unable to cool.

Swot up on brake bleeding as it is simple process to remove old fluid and remove any air bubbles that reduce pedal feel.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...MIscza76va1gIV1YhoCh0StABZEAAYAyAAEgKHrPD_BwE
That link has a section "how to manual bleed brakes" BUT it neglects to outline the sequence \B
YOU MUST start with the longest line first (usually the rear passenger side) working progressively down to the shortest line (usually the front driver side) otherwise there may still be trapped air bubbles OR oil fluid trapped in the lines :(

Last edited:
oh right I didn't know about that [hygroscopic fluid] will take that into account cheers. Will certainly learn to bleed them n that, healthy brakes sounds like a nice safe necessary requirement :)