Cheap and free tuning mods

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are the best Free or Cheap tuning mods then? Anyone found any sneaky and simple DIY fixes for more pleasure and power?

Removing the junk from the boot and from under the seats is helpful. I cannot think of anything that's truly free that gives huge power gains.

Go on - fantasy is not a crime.

1 easy but not legal way is taking a tuning company hostage by force and making them add a remap to your ecu;)

see free but not legal:p

I find myself more and more! worrying about you chaps! :lol:
dont worry about us!!
worry about becoming like us
images

As per the rev-limit thread, my 'free' mod was to permanently open the valves in my exhaust by plugging the vacuum pipes and bashing them open :D

I can't say I've ever managed to find anything 'free' to do to a car prior to this, bar removing the spare wheel - and my current car doesn't have one, so that's that out the window..

Removing the junk from the boot and from under the seats is helpful. I cannot think of anything that's truly free that gives huge power gains.

that as well as a clean and maybe a polish
new air filter and plugs most air filters are quite dirty

and drive in the rain always goes a touch quicker more air ect

that as well as a clean and maybe a polish
new air filter and plugs most air filters are quite dirty

and drive in the rain always goes a touch quicker more air ect

Remove the junk in the driver's side footwell. That way you can get the accelerator pedal closer to the carpet. :D

Smoothing out the airbox. Sticking a pole up the exhaust to break through the baffles. Bending the turbo actuator.

Remove the junk in the driver's side footwell. That way you can get the accelerator pedal closer to the carpet. :D

i had to do that once when i had my volvo c70 t5 was not going well thought a t5 should be quicker
looked and the floor mat stopped the pedal going more then half way

did it fly after that lol

remove air filter, remove cat, turn off AC, remove any unnecessary weight, close all windows including sunroof, remove whatever drives the alternator, use coolant instead of window cleaning liquid and use the windshield sprinklers to spray it on the intercooler, remove the bonnet or leave it slightly open

remove air filter, remove cat, turn off AC, remove any unnecessary weight, close all windows including sunroof, remove whatever drives the alternator, use coolant instead of window cleaning liquid and use the windshield sprinklers to spray it on the intercooler, remove the bonnet or leave it slightly open

so whens all this starting on the focus then lol :blink:

1 easy but not legal way is taking a tuning company hostage by force and making them add a remap to your ecu;)

see free but not legal:p

That assumes they don't pull a fast one and completely screw over your ECU.

I know I would :p

Filling your tyres with Helium makes the car lighter :lol: Forget Nitrogen, Helium is the way to go now...

Well I guess i have this one down,

old turbo diesels can be tuned with some elbow grease, tools and some know how,

my car cost me nothing to tweak up, and people usually gain around 20 hp and 30lbft,

so a noticeable difference, it does use more fuel but only when canning it but when you drive it normally an increase in fuel economy can be had,

I dare say something like this could be done on something like a renault 5 turbo as well

also weight reduction, if you don't need back seats or a stereo then get rid of them!!

I haven't because I use both :)

Jarrus: "If you don't need back seats or a stereo then get rid of them!!"

I have a better idea. I'll just get rid of my kids :lol::lol:

this should have a thread of its own :lol:

"should i get rid of the kids, mrs, dog (if i had one) to save weight and increase mpg !! "

wish i could would be my answer. :lol::lol::lol:

this should have a thread of its own :lol:

"should i get rid of the kids, mrs, dog (if i had one) to save weight and increase mpg !! "

wish i could would be my answer. :lol::lol::lol:

I've got all those as well. I suspect the cost of their 'removal' would be far higher than that of a different car.

Indeed, it would take years to make up for the lost money,
plus I don't generally buys kids on ebay, and I don't think there is a section for it
But I bet you could buy a wife on there though :lol:

Any other suggestions for free or virtually free mods that are easy to carry out and actually make a difference to performance?