When buying car parts, how do you decide ...

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you buy the best/most expensive? Do you research the parts and look for reviews or go with whatever is in the nicest box. Will you ever consider buying cheap parts/low quality parts and how important to you is the reputation of the maker supplier?

Which bits are you willing to compromise on?

I go with big brand names all the time, every time. I cant see the point of buying cheap parts to save a few £'s and end up with a naff part that doesn't last 5 mins.

That my philosiphy anyway. :wink:

As im a bit of a newbie when it comes to replacement parts etc I look for the cheapest and look for reviews, and keep moving up in price until I find a really good ratio of good to bad reviews, and but that one. If its things like brake pads I will always go for expensive parts as its not something I want to compromise on but if its bulbs / replacement plastics (i.e mirrors etc) will just go for the cheapest.

what a lot of people dont know is most parts in the main dealer are made from the same batch of parts in the factory as of spurious parts
something to think about

. If its things like brake pads I will always go for expensive parts as its not something I want to compromise on but if its bulbs / replacement plastics (i.e mirrors etc) will just go for the cheapest.

with brakes there is a good compromise some pads have to high a working temp rating to be of any real use on the roads in a light car. going for a cheaper pad that has a lower working temp can mean better braking on the road. its worth doing alot of reading into pads

an example
federo ds2500 allways come highly recommended however they require a little heat into them for them to work well these are classed as track pads as they fall out of reg 80 meaning they arnt sutible for road use (not reg 80 is not something that is exactly great as it works a %age each way of OEM. so a pad receives a 130% form the testers then they are classed as none reg 80. its something to stop cheap pads coming onto the market that are dangerous)

however the ds3000 have a higher friction rating. than the 2500 cost more however are less suitable for road use as they require more heat in them

i tend to go with the most expinsive if its pads, brakes engine parts that sort of thing because to me it means that its well made and will save me money in the long run.

what a lot of people dont know is most parts in the main dealer are made from the same batch of parts in the factory as of spurious parts
something to think about

with main dealer oem parts the parts are made using the original presses so they are always guarenteed to fit.

prevtec, agree with you entirely. the oem and the after market parts are often made by the same companies in the same factories. i just go for what seems necessary, if i put pads on and they dont feel up to par i will take them back to the motor factors. i dont buy the cheapest ones they have but they normally have a decent recommendation.