Wheel Alignment (tracking)

wezzel98765

Road Burner
Car
Renault Clio 1.2 8V
My front left tyre has a lot of wear on the outside of it, making it almost illegal whereas the rest of the tyre is easily legal!

This is obviously due to bad tracking, would this also cause really poor cornering, general grip?

I thought it might be because the tyres were #!#!#!#!ty, but maybe all along it was just my tracking?

I noticed when I got my new alloys / tyres, that the grip wasn't as good as the old wheels/tyres that I used to have on the car. The old tyres were Pirellis, so I thought it was because the older tyres were much higher quality. It wouldn't be because of the fact that the front left and rear right wheel used to buckle (on the old set of alloys) that has made it so that the new alloys are out of alignment?

Thanks!

Mathew :)

sounds like your tracking is out alright, but the grip and handeling might be down to other reasons, have a look at track rods and other bushings that are tied with the suspension on that side, it could be that theres something worn

I don't know how I am supposed to check these items?

Easy to do?

I really hope that it isn't something else that is screwed up

Could it be the dodgy damaged wheels I used to have, that buckled when driving, that have effed up the different parts on the front left and rear right?

I don't know how I am supposed to check these items?

Easy to do?

I really hope that it isn't something else that is screwed up

Could it be the dodgy damaged wheels I used to have, that buckled when driving, that have effed up the different parts on the front left and rear right?
i doubt if it was over the buckled wheels, i dont know how the clio is set up, but if you dont know, get it tracked, and ask the guy to check the bushes for you, your just checking for play in them

Okey doke thanks for that :)

Well, it was driven on buckled wheels for 2 months... (approx 2,000 miles!!)

When I say buckled, I mean, pretty noticeable buckle :)

Okey doke thanks for that :)

Well, it was driven on buckled wheels for 2 months... (approx 2,000 miles!!)

When I say buckled, I mean, pretty noticeable buckle :)
could have put extra pressure on parts that side so, but for a clio, the parts should be pretty cheap, but get your man to have a look to see if theres anything worn first

Okey Dokey thanks for that. I might get my dad to have a look too actually ;)

I will say that you guys have suggested it could be possible

Any ideas on whether you think the tracking being misaligned as to cause my tyre to almost be illegal on the outer edge after around 5000 miles, would cause the handling to be pretty damn crap?

mate this could be down to your driving style having a car like a clio thats very chuckable around corners. i had to get 2 new front tyres for the mrs yesterday with the exact same isue and had the tracking checked at the same time and the tracking was fine so its down to the way my mrs throws her micra round the corners

just another option for you to consider

Then what would explain the extremely crappy handling on these new tires?

My car literally bounces across the road surface under heavy cornering, no over / under steer, just bounces across the surface like a pebble on water :s

Okey Dokey thanks for that. I might get my dad to have a look too actually ;)

I will say that you guys have suggested it could be possible

Any ideas on whether you think the tracking being misaligned as to cause my tyre to almost be illegal on the outer edge after around 5000 miles, would cause the handling to be pretty damn crap?
of course, its wearing on 1 side as only 1 side has proper contact with the rd, and even do the rest of the tire is perfect, its still like having a bald tyre, dodgy dude

That's what I thought, even though the old alloys/tyres were on the legal limit, they glued me down to the road, I was all for keeping them on if it wasn't illegal ;)