What years do you consider the pinnacle of German Auto manufacturing

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
What years do you consider the pinnacle of German Auto manufacturing? I am thinking the mid 80's to the early 90's, when engineers had the shout and the final price was decided after the project not before.

German automotive engineering has been, and still is, very conservative. German cars are generally not very innovative. The French motor industry is the place to look for innovation.

However, for sheer build quality and durability the Deutsch had a thing long ago that was far better than anything else European.

Japanese cars are much the same. The quality control is near perfect.

But Ford is possibly the place to look for mid/large cars now. Current Mondeo comes immediately to mind if buying new.

I still have a general dislike of vauxhall cars but many swear by them. Wrongly perhaps, in my opinion, but we're all entitled to hold and presentan opinion

Last edited:
I would agree with the 80's. The rally sucess of the early Quattro supports this. But I don't think i'd be happy driving an 80's car on todays roads. The comfort, refinement and safety are all much better now.

VAG engines have left me cold ever since the 2.0 TFsi came out, even the diesels have issues. I think VAG are sorting out the "issues" which I guess you expect to happen on new models.

The 1.8T is still IMO the best engine out there for tuning and practicality in a popular production car.

I would agree with the 80's. The rally sucess of the early Quattro supports this. But I don't think i'd be happy driving an 80's car on todays roads. The comfort, refinement and safety are all much better now.

Let's not forget the Touring cars that were built as well. Both Mercedes and BMW performed very well. The 80s also saw the birth of the E30 M3 (usually refered to as the best driver's car ever made).

I wouldn't say it has got worse since then though, you just have to remember different methods are used nowadays.

I would plum for the 1930's with the awesome Silver Arrows leading the way with immense power outputs for that time.

The 80s gave us the Quattro and that changed the face of rallying and 4wd for production saloons etc.

New Mondeo is very nice and does make you wonder why pay more for 'premium' brands. Father-in-law has a fully-loaded Ghia 2.5T.
The Mondeo is German I believe. I am sure mine is, Funnily enough if you look at journos web sites for top 10 cars the mk3 model 2001 onwards is allways there amongst 9 other new cars (what car, honest john etc) Is the mazda 6 the same car as the mondeo?