What would put you off owning a Ferrari?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Apart from the high cost of aquisition what would put you off from owning a Ferrari? Would you consider any other exotic car instead?

You can get supercar performance in the comfort of a large saloon these days. Audi's S8 comes to mind. Sadly, price is still prohibitive for mortals such as me.

Mercedes Benz and BMW also offer silly money luxo rockets.

As for a Ferrari, I'm not sure I like the image that goes with it. Nor do I like the noise and uncomfortable interior.

Depreciation is the biggest downside in my opinion. Plus there isn't any credibility with Ferraris anymore, not with the main 360s, 355s etc anyway.

Seeing how you can get real supercar beating power for £20k or less, combined with the appreciation and fun of building it yourself, there's just more appeal there for myself.

Well their nice cars and I've always said to myself (and others) that if I had a lot of money (i.e. Lottery win) then I would like buy myself a dozen or so cars and a Ferrari would be one of them. But as for saving for one, well I guess the biggest turn-off would be the cost of running it (fuel, services) and maintenance when it breaks down.

I suppose if you've got £200,000 plus to invest in an exclusive car that's only made in limited numbers then depreciation probably is not too much of an issue. You'd probably sell it for the same price after a year anyway, especially if it's done minimal miles.

But, the question is, why buy a driving machine to leave sat in the drive?

Even if I did have the cash I wouldn't buy a supercar such as a Ferrari or Lamborghini because I don't like the image and, frankly, they're bloody hard work to drive, and very, very uncomfortable.

I've had the privilege to drive a Ferrari 328GTS back in the early 1990's and, to be honest, it's not that much of a privilege really. Manual steering, heavy clutch, stiff brakes and a hair trigger throttle makes for hard work.

It's fun for an hour or so.

2 words ariel atom.

does 0-60 in 2.8 secs and is more reliable, easier to service, and i can guarantee id have buckets more fun in that than a ferrari.

oh and the stupidly low price helps.

But no boot or doors or roof! Blistering as it may be, it's not gonna get the women (or men) is it? I can't remember if the Atom has 2 seats or not!

My tuning car of choice would have 4-5 doors, just for the sake of occasional practicality.

5 litre boot capacity, and it aint for pullin'

if i had one i would purely become celebate to keep it, besides if you had a ferrari, what sort of lady would you pull? moneygrabbing bolemic psycho. whereas in the ariel, the sort of woman you would pull would appreciate driving and the thrill.

what would look better; pulling up in monte carlo in a 360 modena, or an atom?

is the atom even avalible in monty carlo a dont think it ££ enough.

plus the atom runs on a honda type r engine with a supercharger bolted on to 300bhp. works out at 600bhp/tonne just a little less than a enzo never mind the 360 or 355

with the honda engine i know the 1 fitted to the s2000 can be tuned to 420bhp. i have seen much more packages for the civic engine so the same could be obtained. just thinking another 240bhp/tonne (840bhp/tonne ) 0-60 and ingear acc would just be scary fast. who really cares if its only got 1 or 2 seats it gets much more glances than a ferrari, lambo bugatti etc

It still doesn't have a roof though, which is fine in Monte Carlo but it rains 154 days a year in sunny 'ol UK.

I don't think there's anyone that isn't enticed or attracted by a Ferrari, as long as you don't act like a pompous arse. I think that's the main issue with owning a Ferrari, you're possibly a knobber.

If your after stupid power from a stupidly huge engine and want to remain practicle, i.e. roof, boot, passenger space, creature comforts. then buy a muscle car. 8) I've got all the creature comforts you want and about 400bhp/380lbs-ft to boot (when it runs :rolleyes: ) and a yank muscle car is way cooler than any super car, and cheaper.