What is the lowest MPG

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the worst MPG you ever got in a car?

I can get my Audi down to around 7.5mpg.

I also had a Nova 1.3 which returned an astonishing 15mpg for a few weeks. (I found out the fuel tank was leaking on that one! :eek:)

not sure, havent worked it out, i know it not good cos i seem to drive quite aggresivly lately, in my nans fusion i get about 30mpg

My trip computer bails out below 10MPG in instantaneous mode.

The worst trip economy I've ever recorded (and consider the vehicle) was Oxford to Bristol and back in a Fiat Punto 1.2 - 24mpg.

I was rushing a little but still travelling much slower than I would have been in my own car at the time (Primera) which would have return well over 30mpg on the same trip.

My HSX Chevette could get into single figures when 'playing rally cars' :lol: Hardly surprising for a 2.3 16v twin cam with DTV works bits and twin 48's on open trumpets!

Not sure what the MG does when on track, actually I think I would rather not know!

Stopped off at a friend's house in Dorset recently, and she suggested going to a pub a mile or so away in her boyfriend's car as it was blocking hers in on the drive. Trouble is, it's a V12 Mercedes coupe automatic. When we got there, the trip mpg was 6.5 - of course that's on a cold engine and she doesn't hang around. On a long run he gets a somewhat better 22 mpg but I'm still glad I'm driving a 2.0 litre diesel! No wonder he only drove 800 miles in it last year.

Don't you find though that diesels, despite being refined and in some cases genuinely quick now (not just 'for a diesel') that the original simplicity has gone and that the MPG figures are nowhere near as impressive as the older, noisy slow cars?

My 2.2 HDi is silken despite being a four (it does have balancer shafts and some other finery of which the 2.0 HDi is bereft) and it's lively in stock tune. Remap has made it very quick indeed. But around 40mpg is all I generally see over mixed motoring.

Still, perhaps if I were to drive about in a petrol car with similar performance (which would have to be in excess of a NATASP 3 litre) I'd probably get much more like 25mpg.

Further though, petrol is a bloody sight cheaper than diesel and petrol engines are less prescriptive when it comes to servicing.

You certainly don't buy a diesel now just for economy, and certainly don't buy a petrol just for its superior performance over diesel.

The boundaries are becoming fuzzy

i think i need to recalculate mine cause i thought i was getting around 18mpg while booting :confused:

Maybe on instantaneous mode you will be. Mine bails out at 9.99mpg and just displays -,--MPG.

I'd be concerned if you're averaging 18mpg over any significant distance (ie. over 500 miles)

Don't you find though that diesels, despite being refined and in some cases genuinely quick now (not just 'for a diesel') that the original simplicity has gone and that the MPG figures are nowhere near as impressive as the older, noisy slow cars?

Further though, petrol is a bloody sight cheaper than diesel and petrol engines are less prescriptive when it comes to servicing.

You certainly don't buy a diesel now just for economy, and certainly don't buy a petrol just for its superior performance over diesel.

The boundaries are becoming fuzzy

Agreed, especially as I only average about 9,000 miles a year, I've had a few people ask me why I've bought another diesel. "Cos I like the feeling of all that torque" is about all I can come up with. A 2.0 litre diesel feels like a 3.0 litre petrol in some circumstances, especially in the 'not having to change gear very often' department.

am struggling to get over 20mpg normally al;though i tend to more "rural" driving than on the motorway - norm is 250miles (sometimes can eek out 300) per tank. IF absolutely flooring it though it drops to way under 10. Had a TDCi Mondeo on hire for a while as well whichgot down to about 7.

The lowest the daily driver gets is low 20's when it's asked to work, the rest of the time it'll happily return around 30mpg on the motorway.

The weekend toy uses 19 gallons of fuel per minute. Though useage in terms of miles is circa 6 gallons per quarter mile. Not fantastic, but for a reason :)

:lol: They do say you get what you pay for! I bet you don't use it for going to Tesco at the weekends ;) Where do you race then TFD?

:lol: They do say you get what you pay for! I bet you don't use it for going to Tesco at the weekends ;) Where do you race then TFD?
Primarily Santa Pod, as the track's easier to get to, and more consistently prepped and very well organised. I try to avoid Shakespeare County after last season's problems there. This year will be a little manic due to me racing 2 cars, albeit the same engine initially, until I can afford to finish building a new engine :)