What is the best diesel engine around?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
In terms on pure power which diesel engine would you say is the best?

Personally I think it is between the BMW 3.0 and the New Audi Diesel engine as fitted to the R8!

BMW's 2.0 4 cylinder in the 123d is 207bhp has got to be in the running.

Other than that then BMW's 3.0 twin turbo in the 535d and 335d.

Not driven the V10 or V8 VAG units so can't comment on them.

I'm not sure about a full on sports car such as the R8 with a diesel. Some jobs are still best done with petrol.

Last edited:
Audi's 3.0-litre V-6 TDI puts out 240 hp and 406 lbf of torque which should be one of the best diesel power figures. I'll get some stats on the V6/v12 if i can find em - like hens teeth at the moment!

I get the idea that Lamborghini has been testing a V10 diesel in the Gallardo. I'm not sure that it's appropriate - there's still some applications best left to petrol power. Supercars is one. If nothing else, diesel engines are very heavy.

And who wants a supercar where you have to change up at 4000rpm?

The same people who drive a 1.0 nothing and make it look like a Rally RS turbo sport version with large exhaust!

The same people who drive a 1.0 nothing and make it look like a Rally RS turbo sport version with large exhaust!

Lots of them around here. Saxo seems to be the favourite choice. I never knew such spineless little engines could make such a god awful racket.

I get the idea that Lamborghini has been testing a V10 diesel in the Gallardo. I'm not sure that it's appropriate - there's still some applications best left to petrol power. Supercars is one. If nothing else, diesel engines are very heavy.

And who wants a supercar where you have to change up at 4000rpm?

itll be to comply with the new regs where car manufatures have to have an average co2 output. granted lambo / audi v10 aint doing to be less than the, i think, 150 but dont quote me, but much better than the v12 petrol

Mabe that's it - emissions targets.

But who cares about a supercar slinging out 500g/km of CO2 when only a few dozen are to be built. And they're not covering 60,000 miles a year either.

Honestly, it's time someone started seeing things realistically. If you want to curb emissions then tighten up on poorly maintained five year old Astras etc. There's millions of these on the roads.

Last edited:
I have to agree. We lose more "fuel" in cars doing 20mpg that if properly services should be getting nearer 30mpg. Many owners are totally oblivious to their fuel consumption. :eek: Soon we'll have 1.0 twin turbo and quad supercharged lambos that give 60mpg and do 0-60 in over 10 seconds, which kind of defeats the whole point of a supercar.

yeah but at that point well all be using HDI's tattie peeling powered engines. We'll be getting 200mpg emmission free and 0-60 wont ever be talked about other than in days :)

It'll never catch on. At this rate we'll all be buying cars that don't even manage 60mph. If the legislation doesn't get you the £5/litre will!

There is a relaxation on fuel duty for personal bio-diesel producers/users but the equipment you need still attracts VAT.

is that the 1.4 one ? as i think its the smallest they do.
i never relised it was only 3cylinders certain some of the petrols are only 3 cylinders as well

No I didn't realise until very recently - despite driving one for a couple of days back in early 2005.

Considering how horrible the 1.0 3 cyl petrol Corsa was and the Seat Ibiza 1.2 3 cyl (also petrol) VW made quite an impact with that engine.

I do think it uses balancer shafts to smooth things out.

The VAG V12 engine they put in the R8 is a road going one of the one they put in the R10 race car which won leman twice and won the leman seris in america

The engine made from crushed graphite to make it lighter and stronger the offical power figure are: 500 bhp and 737 lb/ft torque, it's 2010 emissions compliant and does 20 mpg
but because of the gearbox on the concept car being from an A4 diesel they have limited to half that else it would just rip it out lol
but they are intending to use a DSG gear box for the production model with the full torque output availiable

the whole car is 100 kg heavyer because of the engine and loses the space behind the seat in the cabin but from articles I've read it doesn't feel heavyer at all because of Audi's weight distribution wizardy and the car is still a dream to drive...

It is likely to go into production around 2009 and the chairman of audi intends to get more power out of it!

thats 2 words i like in the same phrase 'more' and 'power'!!

Last edited:
My Mate Got A Seat Coupra TD, Chiped and re-mapped. eats bmw 330i's for starters. very fast for an oil burner. diesel is way forward but with fuel prices goin up you can pretty much guarantee tht fuel theft crimes will rise. more so for diesel than petrol.

Anyway, i would say the germans build the best diesel engines

The German diesels are known for the their tunability. Especially the PDi units. Moreso than the more recent 16 valve fours.

The French diesels are nowhere near as well known for performance. Rightly so, because they make very good sensible 4 cyl diesels that are not renowned for their potential performance. The 2.0 HDi 110 has been a staple unit for some years. In 2001 the 2.2 appeared discreetly. And it's a peach. I've still got a 406 with that unit, and nothing more than a half sensible remap has released 192bhp.

Current Vw's will see similar numbers from 2.0 engines. BMW has a 207PS 2 litre in the 1 series.

And my favourite big D is BMW's 535 - yes, have driven two of em. One stock, the other one tuned.

It is a Deutsch win, at this point I'd only order a German Diesel but if only the Audi V8 TDi could be crammed into a JAg XF

guys i'm looking to buy a diesel hot hatch and then mod it immediatley, what do you think the best car would be to get?

Wayne, i think you responded to me in another thread .. i asked the question 2 or 3 times .. I have a budget of 300 per months on a lease hire .. with maintenance included. BMW's and Audi's are a little out of this range. A cheaper brand with sports mods, leather seats, etc would be great ;o)

Seat use the same 1.9 Engine and if I remember rightly the Seats are lighter than golfs so its a big plus all round.

BMW's diesel's are brilliant, but not a reliable as you might think,

the e46 diesels (320d and 330d's) are prone to a few problems,
The butterflys in the intake manifold go astray and into the pistons...
Turbo failures are common faults as well....
As far as I know they have sorted the problems on the e90's

it a shame cause I think the e46's are better cars then the e90's

That's good news, that you can remove them....

I was looking into getting a e46 330d instead of my 306 2.2 hdi thing, I might be having a new job soon and it would require a more professional looking car,
Still not sure though,

What do those butterflys do anyways?

I've noticed that the Diesel Engine's made by Hyundai/Kia is a very good engine's

the 1.6 engine i have ahsn't given a problem in over 30k miles i've driven.

the 2.0 a friend of mine has in his Kia hasn't given any problems either though his has only 14k on it, so the einge is still being 'run in'

Jaguars 3.0 V6 is silky but I, doo would probably vote for BMWs 3.0 straight six for sheer flexibiity and muscle.

the 535d 335d version (twin turbo) will go to about 350bhp with no more than an ECU remap.

Depends on what you want.

I have a Mercedes C320 CDI

Whilst it may not have the theoretical figures of the BMW, or, Audi equivalent I have installed a ChipExpress chip and the performance is transformed.

No, exact, figures, but, I can say the performance difference is immediately felt, yet, the fuel consumption hasn't changed. The car is a delight to drive now.

No advert since I am sure the same performance increase could be obtained by the BMW or Audi.

I believe diesel performance is the best way forward for "middle of the road" improvement

Depends on what you want.

I have a Mercedes C320 CDI

Whilst it may not have the theoretical figures of the BMW, or, Audi equivalent I have installed a ChipExpress chip and the performance is transformed.

No, exact, figures, but, I can say the performance difference is immediately felt, yet, the fuel consumption hasn't changed. The car is a delight to drive now.

No advert since I am sure the same performance increase could be obtained by the BMW or Audi.

I believe diesel performance is the best way forward for "middle of the road" improvement

I think the performance is largely sorted.

I remember having a Mondeo ST diesel, the 155bhp version, as a hire car back in 2006, so it was the previous model mondeo, and thinking that it wasnt as quick as it should have been. Big car though, to be fair.