What is the best diesel engine around?

A good choice between money and the amount of guality and features you get is Rover 75. It is built on BMW 3rd series basis. but with front wheel drive. It has BMW engine (I think from year 2002, though I am not completely sure about year). (It is a "Jaguar baby")
Those who doesn't know MG or Rover 75 legend doesn't know the value of this car.

It's a de-tuned 4 cylinder 320d engine. About 115bhp I think. Even in 2000 year model the 320d was 136bhp.

I like Peugeot's 2.7 V6 HDi engine. It's a silky smooth and powerful engine.

Last edited:
To HDI fun

You are right 115hp.

I remember that the bad thing about them is that they have a little vibration.

Al four cylinder engines will exhibit a bit of 2nd order harmonic vibration. My 406 was the 2.2 HDi with twin contra-rotating balancer shafts and that was silkily smooth. But the shafts cost 15bhp or so. Hence it needed 2.2 litres to offer 136bhp in 2000 and BMW managed 136bhp from a 2 litre unit (which I think was without balancers, which do absorb some power themselves by way of friction).

In truth I'd avoid any 4 cylinder diesel engine now, they batter dual mass flywheels. 6 cylinder engines still use DMFs but there is no torque reversal every 180 degrees of crank rotation.