What is a Grand Tourer

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
So many cars come with a GT badge. It used to mean Grand Tourer.

What does a Grand Tourer have that a normal car doesn't?

Are GT cars much different to standard models? What does GT mean to you currently?

In my opinion it refers to a car which is nice to drive over long distances. It needs power, torque and a good equipment spec to aid driving. It should also be fun to drive.

I struggle to accept that smaller 5 door cars fit the GT badge but I think I am probably alone in that one.

A car that can take you effortlessly, quickly, in comfort and relaxed at the end of your journey. My Golf has a GT badge and fulfils those requirements. My Skyline had a GT badge but it was hard work to cover a long journey and I certainly was not relaxed at the end. Pumped up and excited yes, but not relaxed so I wouldn't say that was a grand tourer

I had an old Cortina Mk1 1500 GT crossflow once, absolutely nothing about that car was comfortable in any shape or form :(

I always thought the original meaning was something that could take 4 people and their luggage across Europe very quickly and luxuriously, but could also handle well when needed.

I can do that im my caldina and thats got GT in the title

But honestly I would have a Grand tourer as something bigger , thats size and engine

My idea would be a big powerful car that can seat at least 4 in luxury , is comfortble and quiet but handles impecably.

4 door porsche (panasomething) , bently GT etc

BMW has the 5 Series GT. It does many things well. Carries people in comfort. Carries all their luggage. Goes well. Stops well. Handles well. The problem, and this is unforgivable: it's butt ugly. A GT has to have grace as well as space and pace. This doesn't.

Grace and Space - isn't that a GS not a GT?

The GT needs Grace and Torque surely HDI?

Torque is go. It has plenty. But it [BMW 5 GT] is ugly.

Were it I was in a position to spend circa £50k on a car it's got to look the part too. Jaguar XJ would be my choice. If I had another £50k then a Tesla Model S P85D as well.