What does it mean when a car is v car listed?

VCAR = vehicle condition alert register

V-Car means the car has been an insurance write-off at some point during it's life.

This could through an accident, theft and recovery or flooding.

There are four categories.

Category A (Worst) : Example: a burned out shell, CANNOT be put back on the road.

Category B : Example: Very bad accident damage, car CANNOT be put back on the road but parts can be re-used.

Category C : Example : Severe accident damage, car CAN be put back on the road.

Category D : Example : Theft Recovery/Flooding/minor/moderate accident damage, car CAN be put back on the road.

It is not possible to ascertain its year of manufacture. Often the case with kit cars.

I reshelled a 2.8 capri years ago,the dvla didnt know which plates i should use i.e the doner car or my own plates,i phoned dvla they were as much use as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest and said if i didnt sort it they would Q plate it so i kept the doner car plates,after a while i sold the car,sinse then i have learnt that i should have kept my plates as i used all of the running gear,interior and everything else,but that was years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!.

is this based on physical damage or cost to repair? obviously a burnt out shell cant be repaired but cosmetic damage could render a vehicle uneconomical to repair for an insurer but it could be a cheap repair for someone with the right parts and skills