What does "custom car" mean to you

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What does the term "custom car" mean to you?

Does it conjure up a car with a bodykit and other parts added to it or does it make you think of a completely custom built car such as a hot rod or similar creation.

Imo og's car would be classed as a custom car because there is not going much left of the original car left.
BUT I'd also class Collins volvo as custom but there is still a lot of the original car still there.
Now os's while there are lots of custom/bespoke parts on his saab doesn't quite seem to fall into the custom car bracket for me for some reason? I'm not sure why though perhaps cause it still sort of looks like it originally did from the factory? Cause he's pretty much had the same done as collin bar the second engine! I don't know good question waynne!

I was certainly thinking along similar lines to you Herb. It's hard to quantify, we know a modified car when we see one but "custom car" I think is subjective and we are all likely to have different opinions as to what it is.

It's degrees of customization I suppose. OG's car definitely qualifies. As and when it finally graces the roads - this is a serious project.

I like tweaked cars, preferably undetectably so, to the casual visual observer.

Interesting. I don't consider my car to be a custom. I think of it as a highly modified semi-sleeper. It won't have a flash paint job, enormous wheels or plush interior.

To me, a custom car is more about looks than performance.

by Custom Car, I understand a car that has more parts that have replaced the stock ones, and were build specially one off. Tuned cars have replaced too, but those are in serial production, while custom cars might have more radical changes.

Custom could be a car which has had anything on it changed from standard but for me a custom car needs to be extensively different from standard.

Here is my take...
Hot Rods are custom
A saloon with a bodykit fancy paint job and lambo doors is not in my book, this just counts as a modified car.

to me it's anything that has had actual aftermarket body modifications ie different make and model lights and body panels adapted and fitted, spoilers/scoops/flares hand made not just bolt on or factory optioned accessories, it's more the degree of customisation i look at and whether the work was done "professionally" or by an "enthusiast". As with most everything in cars these days, there are kits available from classic muscle cars to old 20's and 30's hot rods and even a few supercars, that are straight assemble by numbers up to full turnkey packages if you have the coin, takes the fun out of it i reckon

up to full turnkey packages if you have the coin, takes the fun out of it i reckon

For me there is nothing remotely fun about being flat on my back underneath the car being covered in dirt and grease; I have no doubt it would be rewarding though, seen many wonderful turnkey projects on the tv and have given it some thought, maybe one day I will take the plunge ;)