What does the VW emissions fall out mean for drivers

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Any one got any idea what the implications are for VW group drivers who are driving cars which technically do not meet the emissions regulations they were meant to?

Will they have to pay more road tax, be taken off the streets, get compensation from VW, just go on as normal?

Any thoughts on where this revelation will lead?

I heard on news channel government are looking into recalling all cars to reclassify them for road tax. Can't see it but if the powers that be can find a way to get an extra few quid they'll certainly look for it

That doesn't surprise me. Typical of any government, regardless of political persuasion. It's silly really as driving style and miles driven are far more influential. Personally I'd abolish the Road Fund License and apply an additional levy (as if there aren't enough already) to fuel.

This would probably cost me more as I do cover a fair few miles but leaves the likes of my father-in-law, who drives merely 1200-1500 miles per annum, paying £280 to tax his 2.2 litre BMW 520i. This seems very unfair.

Well personally I am disgusted by the recent revelations :( The fact that a motor manufacturing company the size of VW has stooped so low as to doctor the results of emission results by trick software, well it just breaks my heart :(

There can be so much trickery hidden in computer programs.

IIRC there was a race driver/team over here that was a bit sus as to whether the banned launch control was being used and was told that when the powers that be finally got a hold of his ECU it was found when the investigators kept going when they came to what seemed to be the end of the program and kept clicking/scrolling and at the very end and then BINGO |B

Last edited:
It seems to affect only VAG Group cars made after 2009 with the EA189 engine. Earlier cars are not affected, recent cars using the EU6 engine are fine as well.

SEAT, Skoda and Audi have not escaped the scandal.

Phew, my car is ok and won't have a recall and triple fuel tax applied and get clamped, crushed, cubed and scrapped! (perhaps I'm panicking a bit here.)

With my cynical brain on I wonder if there was some sort of funding given to manufacturers for diesel r&d based on their results so in this immoral world we live in the results were fiddled to get more funding and I'm probably thinking millions involved.

I've now read VW are to replace the whole engine in affected models. Wonder if those that have had remaps will get a replacement
I'm wishing I had one now. A new engine would be a good idea. Mine is the last of the PD engines, on a 2007 plate though! Nothing lost, nothing gained for me.

It does affect models as recently as 2015 though.