What are the roads like near you

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
My work takes me around the UK quite a bit but mainly in the South and I am seeing a marked deteriroration in the condition of the roads.

There seems to be a growing number of potholes and rutted road surfaces. I was just curious to know if this was true in other parts of the UK or even the world?

My work takes me around the UK quite a bit but mainly in the South and I am seeing a marked deteriroration in the condition of the roads.

There seems to be a growing number of potholes and rutted road surfaces. I was just curious to know if this was true in other parts of the UK or even the world?

That sounds like the roads round here. They are utterly terrible. I know someone on a motorbike that got chucked off by a pothole halfway round a bend. He couldn't avoid it and it was that deep it chucked him off his bike and made a right mess of it too.... Even when they resurface a road the never get it level. It's like driving on coblled road.....Rubbish

Northamptonshire roads aren't that bad in comparison to other roads I've driven on. I think Bedfordshire roads are the worst, clearly the council there hates cars.

There alwyas repairing it here, so you never get anywhere.

Considering Essex is the supposed home of the boyracer i guess this is why, lol.

There alwyas repairing it here, so you never get anywhere.

Considering Essex is the supposed home of the boyracer i guess this is why, lol.

I'd like to think that the roads in the Maldon District of Essex aren't too bad, mailnly because the maintenance of them is my responsibility!!!!!

Well the road from south woodam to maldon is a blinder. Owned many an aston martin down there.

Anyone been down the A507 from Baldock to Buntingford? Now thats a road.

How about this. Why has nothing been done to make this road safer?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d39s3FidkNo

How do you know it hasn't been fixed? The videos are over 7 years old! :)

Also, it isn't in the UK. I would hope that anything as bad as that would be picked up very quickly and dealt with over here. The minimum requirement, as soon as a suspect site is identified, is to erect slippery road signs. The surface would then be inspected and tested and if found to be defective funding would be sought to rectify the problem.

How do you know it hasn't been fixed? The videos are over 7 years old! :)

Also, it isn't in the UK. I would hope that anything as bad as that would be picked up very quickly and dealt with over here. The minimum requirement, as soon as a suspect site is identified, is to erect slippery road signs. The surface would then be inspected and tested and if found to be defective funding would be sought to rectify the problem.

Yes mate I knew it was another country I just thought it was funny so I thought i'd share it with everyone else thats all.

Yes mate I knew it was another country I just thought it was funny so I thought i'd share it with everyone else thats all.

Ah, yes, agreed, and there were some real idiots driving much too fast for the conditions. However, being a highway maintenance engineer I have my, and my fellow professionals' reputations to uphold :)

Your the one these bad roads then.....:p:lol: We know where to come now to moan....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If the road is in the Maldon Distrct, let me know about it. I will probably already be aware but can at least advise you on what, if anything, is planned.

If the road is anywhere else in Essex, let me know and I will pass it on to the relevant engineer.

Last edited:
Hey - we have an inside man ;). You can't do anything about the roads in Kent! They get such a hammering from the continental lorry drivers it is unreal.

Is it true that you have to use up your budget before the end of the year or face a reduction the following year?

Our local council think that a road repair involves spreading tar and dropping bits of "gravel" (for want of the tecnhincal asphelty pebble name!). This then last for about 1 month and starts to peel off leaving streaks and bald patches in the road.

Hey - we have an inside man ;). You can't do anything about the roads in Kent! They get such a hammering from the continental lorry drivers it is unreal.

Is it true that you have to use up your budget before the end of the year or face a reduction the following year?

Our local council think that a road repair involves spreading tar and dropping bits of "gravel" (for want of the tecnhincal asphelty pebble name!). This then last for about 1 month and starts to peel off leaving streaks and bald patches in the road.

We get that sort of road round here. It really is rubbish to cause it scatches the car when first layed cause of all the little stones flying up. Then yeah your right waynne patches an stuff in the road. It's rubbish...