Less cars or more roads

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you think the answer to our crowded roads would be?

Less cars? Put up fuel, fuel duty, road tax and price people off the roads whilst reinvesting in public transport.

More roads? Build wider and better roads, optimise traffic lights for flow of traffic and switch in roundabouts on busy junctions currently controlled by lights?

Building more and wider roads cant always be done in ancient towns and cities. Literally isn't room.
If public transport were better and cheaper I'm sure more would use it. (Speaking from the UK).

Over here we desperately need hi speed rail as we have a large country with long distances between our cities and tourists holiday spots.
Better public transport is also needed as well as decentralization would also reduce the peak hour congestion that sadly is forever getting worse and weekend traffic volume is now what week day peak traffic was a few years ago.

Yes I would like to see more roads built, but as the government currently seem hell bent on taxing us for anything to do with a car (Expect taxes for having a dirty car and sugary sweets in the glove box before long) a lot of people will find themselves simply unable to afford to drive.

They're already trying to price us off the roads. Driving ability/observational skill/road awareness test every 5-10 years would cull the vast number of people that struggle with the concept of driving from our roads. It would be the best and most efficient way bar none I think.

Limiting a licence to 10 years and then a retest/medical exam makes sense in my mind. It will be a pain but will make the roads much safer.