Waterless Coolant

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I have been looking into this:

http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/power-cool-180-for-performance-cars.html

and it looks interesting.

Wheeler Dealers put it in a TR6 (I know this isn't much of a recommendation)
and Jay Leno uses it in all of his vehicles (a bit more of a recommendation).

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/waterless-engine-coolant/1376127/

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/waterless-engine-coolant-revisited/1427542/

On the face of it it seems like a good idea, but I was wondering if anyone on here has used it?

Last edited:
I believe my MX-5 has waterless coolant as standard, at least I think it has. it's long life coolant & it doesn't need to be changed for years. I need to look into what to use as well because I'd like to replace what's in there at some point.

Yes I know but the fuel system is designed to contain and convey flammable liquids. The cooling system isn't. That's my reason for beign cautious of the stuff.

A lot of race tracks don't allow it for that reason plus it is a lot slipperier than water.

This looks like a possibility:

http://www.norosion.com/

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Last edited:
What's the reason for using such coolants? Is it to do with localised overheating due to water boiling in little pockets inside the engine? I know they have a much much higher boilding point than water but the specific heat capacity is slightly lower so unless you have localised heat problems the engine could end up running hotter.

It's more to do with reducing or eliminating corrosion which is the long term engine killer, especially with engines not used reguarly.

My Elan engine was laid up for 19 years (maybe rather a long time) but the waterways in the water pump (and probably elsewhere) were completely blocked with white gunk.

The engine does run hotter when using glycol (even in a 50/50 mix) but this isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as the ECU is advised of the change.

Last edited:
That looks a bit like Redline Water Wetter and Royal Purple Ice, though I am not sure either of these is designed to provide additional corrosion resistance. They supposedly decrease surface tension to increase the surface contact area with heat exchanging surfaces, thus increasing cooling efficiency.

i use Evans waterless coolant in my turbo Mazda rotory, 8yrs same coolant, when i took the water pump off ,absolulty no corrosion , color of drained coolant was a light brown.

many hard miles, 22-27 psi boost, never any boil over or detonation problems, dynod 420 WHP, 2600 car weight, YUP,it is fast, turbo Mazda rotories are notorious for hot spots around the spark plug area,that leads into detonation, just one time and it could take out the Apex seals, guess how i know??

most race tracks now, banned its use , because it is slippery, but for a street car that is stored for long periods yes it is a good product, and almost impossible to boil in an engine, you would have to reach up to 350-400F ,and by then you may start thinking about other things,hehe.

like any type of oil(it is an oil,)oils like petrol, diesel fuel, alcohol, engine oil , cooking oils, probably others.

when heated to boiling point the vapors become flammable, the actual liquid does not burn or ignite.

i have never heard of any fires from it, but yes slipping around on spilt liquid is why its banned , plus hard to clean up, and the boiling point is quite high anyway.

petrol and D fuel is much lower!

the main advantage is no corrosion EVER, a perfect water pump lube, and it absorbs heat away from localised hot spots much quicker than water, and without any bubbles that may impede circulation .

it was developped in mid 1960s for hydrualic cooling systems in combat helicoptors,AKA; BlackHawk types, light years better than Ethelyne glycol, great for situations in extrmely hi ambient temps( vietnam,&middle east) and have to push equipment past the combat settings!

a big plus is cooling system pressures are very low or nothing at all. so a rupture
is not spraying stuuf all over the place.

Last edited: