W8 gets a new reg :)

Bought for me by my girlfriend... :)

DSC_0040_small.jpg

DSC_0041_small.jpg

Last edited:
It's a 2002 model. They only made the W8 between very late 2001 and 2004.

It gets plenty of TLC :)

... and now sitting on KW Coilovers...

DSCF2020_small.JPG

It looks like it is definately sitting lower, at least an inch, I would guess. I have been thinking about doing the same thing with my Stealth. It sits WAY too high on its KYB struts. Can you tell us the differences it has made? Is it stiffer? The same, just lower? Has the handling improved dramatically? Pros and Cons, if you would?

It's dropped 32mm (1.25 inches). I may adjust it to drop it another 5mm, but nothing major.

Difference: TOTALLY different car. Feels like i've just picked up a new motor. I was happy with the Exhaust, I was happy with the brakes and BBS alloys - but I'm over the moon with the KW Coilovers.

It's stiffer, but not to the point of being crashy. I think if I lower it too much, with this car having 510kg per corner weights i'll risk bottoming out the shocks.

It feels very composed and setup with a decent bias towards handling. I spent a good 45 minutes throwing it around corner and havn't seen sight of the ESP light (usually on at any hint of sharp steering wheel action). Steering is also alot more precise and the horrific body roll has vanished completely. If you used to drive in a strait line and weave from left to right quickly (warming you tyres up for want of a better description) it'd mainly just lurch on the suspension and not really do much changing of direction. It's now sharp as hell, as changes direction with precision.

As you can probably tell im thrilled. I was expecting it to be "better", but in fact its a total transormation - it terms of looks too. You probably can't tell from the photos but in "real-life" the entire stance of the car has changed. It looks more agressive and means business. Before it looked like a bit of a Phatass car with bit pipes. It's amazing what putting the wheels in line with the arches can do, and sitting it lower to the ground.

Time to go-to brands hatch for the 'after' run I think :). The tail came out frequently followed by buckets of ESP on the corner after the pit straight, loosing me a good umph of speed. It also lurched around alot under braking (was anchoring on hard from about 110-115).

Regards,

I'm tempted to go down by a few mm - but im taking 5-8mm at the very most. I can't help but tweak!!

Thanks for the feedback. I have been considering doing the same with my car but have been hesitant for a couple of reasons. One, they are not cheap and two, it would have been primarily for appearance. My car sits way too high relative to the tires for my liking. It handles well already and so adding anything that would make it ride harder than it already does would not be too welcome.

Congratulations and I appreciate your response. I may just reconsider now.:)

You have an AMG E550 and you're worried about some collies being a little expensive? :amazed:

Rob what made you go for the 1's and not the 2's?

You have an AMG E550 and you're worried about some collies being a little expensive? :amazed:

Actually, I was talking about one of my other cars. A 1991 Dodge Stealth ES (I think you call them GTO's in Europe). I guess I should post some photos of it too. I already have a lot of money tied up in it and sinking more into it is a losing proposition. They are still fairly inexpensive here in the states but I bought this car new when I graduated from college and it has a lot of sentimental value. I guess that is why I have not sold it.

Fear of over-cooking the pudding. I'd have no idea what to adjust, so the "middle ground pre-set by KW" has to be better than stock (and boy is it!) and all I need to worry about is ride height. Suits me.

Additionally - I couldn't resist. I dropped it another 10mm this afternoon!

Actually, I was talking about one of my other cars. A 1991 Dodge Stealth ES (I think you call them GTO's in Europe). I guess I should post some photos of it too. I already have a lot of money tied up in it and sinking more into it is a losing proposition. They are still fairly inexpensive here in the states but I bought this car new when I graduated from college and it has a lot of sentimental value. I guess that is why I have not sold it.

Fair enough. Sometimes you just have to say enough is enough and stop forking out I guess. Something I seem unable to do.

Fear of over-cooking the pudding. I'd have no idea what to adjust, so the "middle ground pre-set by KW" has to be better than stock (and boy is it!) and all I need to worry about is ride height. Suits me.

Additionally - I couldn't resist. I dropped it another 10mm this afternoon!

Down n out brother, down and out! :lol: It's height and damping adjustable on the Variant 2's, so you could have had softest soft for the street and as stiff as buggery for the track (as I see you like your track days). Just would've thought they would have been ideal for you in this way is all.

It will be interesting to see if it settles any lower after a few hundred miles. Let us know what happens?

Well I couldn't resist... i've taken off the mud-flaps and lowered it a little more.

Now sitting with 35mm between the top of the tyre and the arch at the front, and 45mm at the rear. Might raise the front 5mm tomorrow, I'm getting a little nervous of speed humps!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back