vehicle tracking

Puntopimp

Track Warrior
Car
1.8 TDCI Ford S-Max
Hi guys query I'll be sorting new tyres in Jan because the tracking is out slightly.

Could you recommend a garage what could sort this for me? Also how costly would it be?

I am not sure how much standard tracking will be these days as it has been quite awhile since I had it done, but expect to pay between £15 and £30, I much prefer to have a full four wheel geometry alignment done.
This is expensive and can cost anywhere between £50 and £180 depending on where you go. I also had the beast corner weighted as part of the alignment works. I personally use a place called Elite Direct who are based in Rainham in Essex.
They know my suspension on the car inside out, and are quite capable of tuning for factory road handling, fast road and all out track.

This will be very far for you to travel under the circumstances but I can recommend them very highly.

If you are lucky PP, Kwik-Fit sometimes throw a tracking in for free if you spend enough on the tyres.

I'd rather hurt myself than use kwik fit mate heard enough dodgy stuff about them

I'll check out the guys in the land of TOWIE

I'm sure I just read your getting some coilovers if so hold off on the alignment till you fit the suspension otherwise you will be paying out twice also check for any worn bushes

AMS tyres in Newton Abbott, South Devon are superb. Bit of a ride from Dover though.

Don't bother with anything less than a full four wheel alignment.

Yeah no problem guys Is that because the coilovers will lie differently with stock springs and could offset the hard work done by the garage???

Yes that is one way of putting it, but your coilovers should come with their own springs fitted and the original car springs are removed. Feel free to correct me if I have that wrong gentlemen, but this is what happened when my ones were fitted.

I didn't think cars that are FWD needed a 4 wheel alignment, as the front do all the work?

You have much to learn my young padawan :wink:

That's like saying a RWD does not need it as the rear wheels do all the work :lol:

On the Saab the adjustment on the front is to aid and enhance the road holding, the adjustment on the rear is to assist the road holding still further or help to improve high speed straight line stability depending on the adjustment chosen. The standard rear drive arrangement allows for a + or - 1.5 degree adjustment to maintain the preferred factory setting. The rear adjusters have since been removed and replaced with special high tensile steel bolts to allow for infinitely more adjustable settings to compliment the coilovers, a total of 4 required at £50 each.

Does the beast handle like it's on rails- oh yes it does :bigsmile:

All four wheels need to be done on any car. End of story. You need the thrust line/steer ahead to be +/- 0.05 degrees or less otherwise the car will not track straight ahead and will be tiring to drive.

If the rears point net right then the car will go left all the time etc. Correct toe on all four wheels is the minimum you should do.

A proper alignment facility will ballast the car so the correct ride height is achieved all round long before anyone makes any adjustments at all.

Believe me a full geometry setup is worth a couple of hundred quid. You will save fuel, tyres will last longer and wear evenly, the car will be quieter and much much much more invigorating to drive.